Vintage diving...what was it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One reason that Rubatex G-231 is not used in mass market suits is that it needs a custom fit. Nowadays people are so fat, yes, I said it, FAT, that it is difficult for companies to make hanger suits that would fit the rotund humanoids now populating much of the planet. They need the 3D super stretch to get around their super size butts and bellies. N

Hey - I resemble that remark!!!:wink::wink:

But the way around it is to dive Vintage Gear when you only need minimal exposure protection. A lot different than when I learned in 1969 - wearing thermal underwear, a sweatshirt and farmer-john coveralls. Loading the pockets with rocks to keep submerged as the tank got lighter. 60 something degree water. :shakehead::shakehead:

But I still love my Vintage Gear - especially when taking pictures. :D:D

Hey - I resemble that remark!!!:wink::wink:

But the way around it is to dive Vintage Gear when you only need minimal exposure protection. A lot different than when I learned in 1969 - wearing thermal underwear, a sweatshirt and farmer-john coveralls. Loading the pockets with rocks to keep submerged as the tank got lighter. 60 something degree water. :shakehead::shakehead:

But I still love my Vintage Gear - especially when taking pictures. :D:D

Yeah, I did not say I was immune to it, I figure if I don't eat anything for the remainder of 2009 my caloric intake will return to a normal, whatever normal is, amount aveage for the year. :rofl3: N

Exactly Herman. I love diving vintage, I just get so tired of explaining to divers how I am not going to die. I also get tired of people telling me that you cannot have good buoyancy control without a BC, so I let them dive with all that crap on. If they call that fun, then so be it. Here's a picture of me hovering (yes hovering) sans BC:

P1010096.jpg

61 degree water, no SPG, no BC, just a j valve, a 1954 trademark Aqualung regulator, some dive tables, a watch, a wrist depth gauge, some duck feet, and my vintage dive homies.

I'm so glad people think it's dangerous, it means there's more gear for me to buy on Ebay!

Yeah, I did not say I was immune to it, I figure if I don't eat anything for the remainder of 2009 my caloric intake will return to a normal, whatever normal is, amount aveage for the year. :rofl3: N

Yeah - I hear you. It didn't take much to sink a 175# "hard body" back then - in fact, I was a total sinker in those days. 40 years and 50# sure makes a difference. :shakehead::shakehead:

Look much more like a Manatee now than a Barracuda. :rofl3: :rofl3:

Last weekends dive using my vintage Navy gear, 1957 U S Divers DA Navy Approved regulator, 1967 twin 90 cu/ft EOD non magnetic tanks, UDT surface flotation vest, oval mask and Duckfeet fins.
Is it vintage, not really to me as it is the way I began diving in 1957.

Attachments

• DSC00264 (Small).JPG
    DSC00264 (Small).JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 532

Hot babes in rubber suits...

FYI

The SPG was marketed first in 1954. I some how suspect most of the posters were not diving or alive at that time

WW11 surplus "Maewests" were used by Kalifornia divers almost from the beginning of Scuba diving in the US--1948..They were not used as a BC rather as an emergency floatation device.

The dark blue US Submarine model was well made and well adapted to use as a float. The USN bright yellow US Navy air craft version was double bag construction, small,& compact. The bags were often removed and insatalled under the wet suit for streamlining especially for free diving spearfishing.

There is a SDM cover of a SD diver holding a turtle with such a foat with an inflator hose protruding from the wet suit --apparently using a a USN bladder.

There was also an article in SDM about making a interior float from 1/8 inch wet suit material in the early 1960s..

It is oftened questioned when the first BC was marketed and what was the first commerical diving BC

SDM

FYI

The SPG was marketed first in 1954. I some how suspect most of the posters were not diving or alive at that time

WW11 surplus "Maewests" were used by Kalifornia divers almost from the beginning of Scuba diving in the US--1948..They were not used as a BC rather as an emergency floatation device.

The dark blue US Submarine model was well made and well adapted to use as a float. The USN bright yellow US Navy air craft version was double bag construction, small,& compact. The bags were often removed and insatalled under the wet suit for streamlining especially for free diving spearfishing.

There is a SDM cover of a SD diver holding a turtle with such a foat with an inflator hose protruding from the wet suit --apparently using a a USN bladder.

There was also an article in SDM about making a interior float from 1/8 inch wet suit material in the early 1960s..

It is oftened questioned when the first BC was marketed and what was the first commerical diving BC

SDM

I have to be honest Dr. M, how is the fact that the SPG debuted before most of were diving or alive relevant to the discussion? Also, you mentioned that it was often questioned when the first BC was marketed, yet you did not tell us when it was. So, when was the first BC commercially marketed? I don't mind you stimulating the conversation, but if you are going to do so, then give us the details!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom