VIP Tools

Discussion in 'Tanks, Valves and Bands' started by Dive4Life, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Dive4Life

Dive4Life Barracuda

I just got certified in VIP and am going to try and buy my own gear minus the Eddy current. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good sites where one could buy the equipment necessary? Thanks for your time.

2. SDAnderson

SDAnderson Hog Repair Specialty Instructor

# of Dives:
  3. Dive4Life

Dive4Life Barracuda

Thanks for your fast reply. I've already checked out the PSI site but I haven't checked out the gm site. The link doesn't seem to be working but I'm sure a quick search will solve that. Thanks once again.

4. oxyhacker

oxyhacker Humbolt Squid

PSI has good stuff but it's fairly expensive. If you are only going to be doing tanks occasionally you can save quite a bit by buying a 2x magnifying mirror from an industrial supplier (McMaster Carr #1017T21 is about $8) and making a tank inspection light from a "rope" or "cable" light - we like the Light Tech 1002, about $10 from Home Depot (the brand doesn't really matter, but you want one that can be shortened, to about 12-18"). A borelight like PSI sells can be had at any gun/outdoor supplier, and many hardware and dept stores, but any small flashlight will do.

5. Dive4Life

Dive4Life Barracuda

Vance,

Thanks for the reply. I did purchase your book and let me say that it is great. I am definitely going to make my own tank inspection light so I guess I'll be heading to home depot after class.

6. Ber Rabbit

Ber Rabbit Floppy Ear Mod ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    You'll like the rope light as an inspection light. My instructor does our VIP's and she has one and it's like daylight inside the tank.
    Ber :lilbunny:

7. Dive4Life

Dive4Life Barracuda

I went and couldn't find that specific rope light but I bought one of the other ones. The Super Bright Rope Light Kit 2ft for about 4 bucks so I'm hoping that it can be cut and modified to the required length. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

8. Ber Rabbit

Ber Rabbit Floppy Ear Mod ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Actually if it's only 2 (two) feet long it should be perfect. Keep in mind how tall the tank is, it's nice to have light down the length of it.
    Ber

9. Dive4Life

Dive4Life Barracuda

PSI sells the 90 hardness and most others sell a 70. Which one is the best for replacing the neck o-ring? Which ones have you used?

10. SDAnderson

SDAnderson Hog Repair Specialty Instructor

# of Dives:
    Bill High gets good marks from me for usually knowing what the heck he is talking about. That said, given good sealing surfaces (both on the tank and the valve) and proper installation procedures, I don't think it matters enough to matter. Given bad sealing surfaces or improper installation procedures, durometer ratings are not what needs worrying about. ;)

11. jbd

jbd Scuba Instructor

The shortest rope light I could find is six feet long. Any idea what one has to do to shorten to two feet :06:

12. FredT

FredT Humbolt Squid

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    With the light OFF inspect the internal bulb wiring closely using a backlight source. Most have several bulbs wired in series off the main power leads so you can't cut just anywhere and have it still work. The one I made several inspection lights from was 20V with 18 bulbs in series, then repeat. The light can be cut at any of the spaces between the series sets. I got about 6 inspection lights out of one rope light string. Cut at the gaps, then splice on a 120V plug and cord (spare computer power cords seem to work fine and are both ubiquitous and free.) Solder the connectons and slide heat shrink over each one, then overpot with a second heat shrink and some epoxy filler.

For a portable 12V light a couple of the low voltage "garden light" bulbs soldered onto a old speaker wire with alligator clips attached makes a truck or boat friendly inspection light small enoug to fit into 3/4"-14 tank necks.

FT

13. derwoodwithasherwood

derwoodwithasherwood Barracuda

Some brands have a mark printed on the outside of the plastic indicating where it is OK to cut.

14. Bob3

Bob3 Dive Shop

I used to use any old flashlight bulb that matched the voltage of whatever little transformer I had laying around. For some reason the power supplies from radios, calculators, etc seem to multiply & exceed the amount of said appliances.
    Some stiff wire, solder, & heat shrink make a light that can be manipulated right next to any questionable areas. I always preferred a single point light source because it could get maneuvered around to accent the relief/profile of any suspect areas, the contrast makes them stand out better.

15. Inspector

Inspector Scuba Instructor

I suppose you could get something from Home Depot, cut it, splice it and re-wire it to suit your needs or you could go here http://www.proscuba.com/ and get the real thing.

16. roakey

roakey Old, not bold diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I used a 50W bulb from my old halogen cave light and just hook it up to the old SLAs I used for the light and the entire cylinder is painfully bright inside! It works very, very well. I'll find out the bulb designation tonight.

Roak

17. Dive4Life

Dive4Life Barracuda

I don't want to spend $16 and buy one from PSI because I know that it is definitely not worth that. I was wondering if anyone knew where else I could get one for cheaper. Thanks

18. jbd

jbd Scuba Instructor

Got any friends that work in machine shop ;)