VT3 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tricia Shields

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got back from a week in Roatan. Before I left, I went to my LDS and asked them to replace the battery (didn't trust myself). I should have more faith in myself.

On my second dive, the computer stopped working. I had the dive shop guys take a look. It had a small leak that was apparently due to a small gouge around the battery area. He cleaned it up, checked the o-ring (it was fine) and told me to try it again. It worked, until the end of the safety stop on the next dive, then the screen froze. Dive shop guy opened it up and it had a little water in it again. He cleaned it, and I rented equipment.

I have had the computer since 2008 and have had no problems with it until now. I cannot prove it, but I am assuming the guy who replaced the battery at my LDS must have pried the battery out and damaged the computer.

Just wondering if this is something that is able to be fixed by Oceanic, or is this computer now dead?

If it is in the molded body of the computer, then I would say it is a lost cause. The VT3 has been obsolete for quite a while.... heck, the VT4 is also obsolete. You might see what the responsible dive shop may say,.... but at 8 yrs,... That's quite a long time for a dive computer. Yes, I know there are older ones out there,... but think,.... It is even old for a desk top, laptop, smart phone.... you get the idea.

Open it yourself if you have the proper tools and check for damage that might have been caused by someone carelessly prying it open, it may just turn out to be a bad o-ring or a grain of sand or salt.
I replace my own battery on my VT3 and it's not that difficult but I can see how someone being careless could easily damage it.

Most likely it is damage the way you think. Oceanic will replace it with a different computer for about $160.

Most likely it is damage the way you think. Oceanic will replace it with a different computer for about $160.

@NCadiver ,

What do you think they would replace it with as the VT series is entirely discontinued? A refurbished VT 4 or 4.1 or something else, I can't imagine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom