Want to take a camcorder underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfbluestar

Reaction score
I have a regular compact camcorder. Is there an off-the-shelf housing mechanism or some kind of gear I can purchase, so I can stick the camcorder into it, and have my diver friend take with it underwater next time?

Ikelite makes housings for most small DV cameras.
Rick

sfbluestar:
I have a regular compact camcorder. Is there an off-the-shelf housing mechanism or some kind of gear I can purchase, so I can stick the camcorder into it, and have my diver friend take with it underwater next time?

I am surprized that no one pointed out this list
http://www.scubaboard.com/t76568-.html

It's a "sticky" topic at the top of this forum.

sfbluestar:
If it's a Sony or Canon camcorder - and judging by your screen name you live in the Bay area - take a trip down to Monterey to Backscatter U/W Video/Photo. They rent housings for $25/day and sell several different manufacturers housings as well. And it's a great Saturday drive anyway right? www.backscatter.com

As others have suggested, look at Ikelite, Top Dawg, Atmo-Seal or Aquatix for relatively affordable options. Note that the housing will probably cost more than the camcorder though. Ikelite's and Top Dawg's are around $8-900, the others are slightly less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom