Wanting to Dive in July in Lake Lanier GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could be interested in tagging along for this as well. I have live about 10-15mins from Lanier's West Bank park area since 2004 and have been certified since 2007. I have always considered going diving in Lanier, but just never got around to it. And to be honest, while I have been curious, I have always been a little hesitant about diving in Lanier since I have heard the visibility is usually low. I would want to tag along with someone who has experience with Lanier.

I have logged about 30 dives over the years and really only get to go when we go on family vacations. Recently went to Jekyll island & weather didn't cooperate so now looking at some other local options for this summer including Lake Lanier & White Stone Quarry. I want to try to at least get a few dives in here every summer and these two places seem like the best options at this point if I am unable to go when on family vacations. I am also looking at trying to dive in Lake Jocassee since I have heard good things about this place and its only about 2.5hrs from me. Might do a family camping trip (at Devils Fork state park) in August and then get away for a few hours & go diving with a local shop up there. Will see.

Finally, I have none of my own equipment (except snorkel, mask, dive knife and a dive computer) so would need to rent all the basics somehow. All About Diving is local dive shop down the street from me that I'm thinking might be the best place to rent equipment. I'm open to any other suggestions & feedback though.

You allso have another option If you don't mind driving 1.5 to 2 hr.'s up to lake Jocassee . It is in the northwest corner of South Carolina .(do north of heart well.check this link to the dive shop up at the lake ,they have pictures that you can see what is there to see .Lake Jocassee Dive Shop, Salem, SC near Greenville and also check out this thread. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/south-eastern-united-states/285334-lake-jocassee-update.html. and the viz there is usually pretty good 20' to30'+ on average some time even better you cam dive the old cemetery
the same one used in the movies deliverance google jocassee cemetery (lake jocassee and watch some of the videos 0

Lake Lanier is probably the hardest place to dive because of the silty conditions and bad vis.

White Stone quarry is cold to me. Usually even in the summer the main features are at depth that is usually still a little chilly.

Lake Jocassee is the best all around lake to dive . You have easy shore dives or boat dives. The water temp is warm(dove wet last month).

I have gear that you could potential dive(depending on your size). PM me for more info and we will see what we can work out to dive.

I usually get 10-15 ft of vis diving on the rip rap on the dam. I am either diving there this Saturday or may be going up to Jocasse for the day. A friend of mine who grew up on the lake told me about a submerged house in Baldridge creek,I want to go check that out after the holiday rush is over. Mike lets get a dive and dine going sometime in July.

Go talk to Steve or Buck at the Dive shop on mcever. I've got my own gear. But have seen their rental fleet and it's no joke. Best quality and well maintained. As for Jocasee. I was there a little more than a month ago. Vid was not that great 10 - 15 at best. If your just looking to go play a bit Loch Lo Minn can be fun. Just got a report back on it as being very warm ( shorty dive worthy ) and good viz.
The wife and I plan on checking it out in August. Hell its only a 3 hour drive and has cheap admission

If your just looking to go play a bit Loch Lo Minn can be fun. Just got a report back on it as being very warm ( shorty dive worthy ) and good viz.
The wife and I plan on checking it out in August. Hell its only a 3 hour drive and has cheap admission

I second that:Loch Low Minn is usually great too. Find the paddle fish! It gets colder quick below the thermocline but is worth the drive.

If you going to drive all over though Check out Clarks Hill(Strom Thurmond). The vis by the dam is pretty good and it has an airplane. It also has a nice map and other hidden objects. :) Plus it free!

I would also like to get together with a group too and dive Lanier. I am looking for people to dive with so I can do more local diving .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom