WaterProof D1 Hybrid Drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are their wetsuits as good as their dry?

It's a mixed bag on the wetsuits - I had an older W1 and now a new W4. The neoprene is not stretchy compared to other modern suits, which is just fine if it fits you, but not so much if it doesn't. The excellent seals on the W4 are great and mate up with the boot and glove seals, turning it into something similar to a semi-dry (it will squeeze). The plush lining and pre-bent limbs make it very comfy. The hood is the best I've ever used, and the gloves are excellent as well.

The bad parts? A stitch is already coming slightly unraveled in the W4 even though it only has ~15 dives on it. The W1 is almost impossible to get out of without help. The boot zippers won't stay zipped. Because they're not stretchy, don't even think of trying to squeeze into a smaller one (their size charts are pretty accurate). Worst of all? I look like a power ranger in it (especially the W4). No kidding, I'm embarrassed to be seen in it, and my first instinct is to hide in shame.

This suit is obviously made for extreme cold diving, but I'm curious to know how hot the water would have to be before this suit becomes too hot to dive in. 15ºC/60ºF? 20ºC/70ºF? What's your opinion?

This suit is obviously made for extreme cold diving, but I'm curious to know how hot the water would have to be before this suit becomes too hot to dive in. 15ºC/60ºF? 20ºC/70ºF? What's your opinion?

Waterproof sells a lighter liner (swap out the orange linger for a lighter and more flexible one) for warmer dives which is always a good option. But I too would like to know at what temperature does it become too hot to dive in with the stock liner.

I have a half a dozen dives on this suit now and while it keeps me warm I have noticed some of the problems the others that have dove it have said. This thing takes a ton of weight. I weigh 230lbs and with the linner that is built in he suit and only a wicking layer on my body it takes 50lbs to sink this sucker wit a aluminium 80, and then only just enough to have enough air to be warm and not have suit squeeze. So I'm not using my BCD at all unless I'm at the surface.

That weight is a big deal if you're shore diving and need to walk any distance.

I have limited experience with the drysuit but I also have a hard time getting the suit to expel enough air when I need to come up in the water column. Hopefully that will change as I get more used to the suit but I am a experienced diver with over 1000+ dives in the last 5 years.

I will say this - I bought mine in January of 2016. I started with 42 lbs to sink - I am currently at 24 lbs - do not give up on this suit.

A few things - I went to a fresh water pond and did a few things -

first - before I enter the water or put anything on after the drysuit - I kneel down and push as much air out as I can - then I get suited up
second - when I get in the water up to my waist I put a finger in the neck seal and release the excess air.
third - I put weight on a weight belt I put about 20 lbs and I used my drysuit pockets to hold the rest of my weight.
fourth - I went to 15 feet and started pulling out weights to see what it would take - as needed I added very little air to remove suit squeeze.
fifth - I did this after many dives on the suit (I have about 50 dives on the suit this year).

All I can tell you is you need to get used to the suit and slowly start shedding weight - at 42 lbs I could hardly move and it was a PITA...
But now - I love my suit and I am very happy I stuck it out.... But you need to start shedding the weight.

FYI when I boat dive I can hit the manual purge and that helps - I would not recommend pulling on the neck seal if you jump in off a boat.
Shedding the weight gave me the confidence I could in fact drop the weight and I have not looked back.

Good luck you have a great suit. :)

I have dove in 76 degree water with the insulation still in the suit. It is not the water that gets you - it is the 90+ degree on the surface that kills me... Just need to find shade or get in and get out of the suit quickly... BTW I have the same issue in a 7 mm suit on the surface - I cant help but sweat...

I have no direct experience with this suit myself. But, my tech instructor, whom I have been diving with for over a year now, has a WP drysuit with that orange mesh lining. He said it took him nearly a year to get somewhat comfortable with controlling his buoyancy in that suit.

As a concept, it seems to me that having that mesh provides a very free and easy way for air to move around inside would not be particularly desirable. They say it's to give you a permanent small air gap between your skin and the shell, for best insulation. But, it seems to me than (almost?) any kind of undergarment would do the same thing - and have the additional benefit of helping to keep the air inside from moving around so freely. And also have another additional benefit of allowing you to not use an undergarment at all and have no extra air in the suit, if you want.

Doesn't that air gap, by definite, mean that you have more air trapped inside the suit than if you wore an undergarment that gave you the same skin-to-shell distance? I mean, if the mesh creates, let's say, a 1mm air gap, then doesn't that mean that the suit will be holding more air inside than if you just wore a 1mm thicker undergarment and did not have the mesh? That seems like it would have all the same drawbacks as carrying a corresponding amount of extra lead and having extra air in your suit (or wing) to match. With no benefit (as compared to using a good quality slightly thicker undergarment).

I have a Bare crushed neoprene suit (XCS2 Tech) and with double 120s and a stainless steel backplate, I need no additional weight at all, with no undies, and I add a 4# V-weight when I wear my Fourth Element Arctic shirt, leggings, and socks. I just got a Waterproof D9X and cannot wait to give it a try this weekend (weather and Poseidon permitting). Being able to have anything from no air gap (e.g. this weekend in 70-something degree water) to full-on cold water gear with all the air gap that implies seems like the best idea for a drysuit, to me. I cannot even imagine needing 24# of lead in addition my BP/W and tanks. Much less 42#! Yikes!

Last edited:
For me - I have used this suit from 39 degree to 78 degree water in the same undergarments.

I use a running long sleeve shirt made of lycra and I use the Hot Chilli's stirrup pants again very light and comfortable. I happen to use two pair of socks because my boots are a bit larger than they should be. Other than that - I am toasty warm. If you look at that type of material there is barely any thing there - so to me the constant volume mess is what keeps me warm and I use the light material only to keep the mess off my skin.

I use a Sea Quest Balance back inflate and I have Aluminum and Steel tanks that I alternate - 72 and 85 LP. Seems to work for me.
That said when I had a 7 mm I would wear about 21 lbs to sink me - I am a floater... :)

For me - I have used this suit from 39 degree to 78 degree water in the same undergarments.

That IS pretty impressive. How long are you comfortable at 39 with just those undergarments on? I have to wear my FE Arctic gear under my crushed neo suit to stay warm at 39F, if I'm there for more than, say, 30 minutes.

That IS pretty impressive. How long are you comfortable at 39 with just those undergarments on? I have to wear my FE Arctic gear under my crushed neo suit to stay warm at 39F, if I'm there for more than, say, 30 minutes.

I had to look it up - it was 45 mins. BUT - I was wearing wet gloves - :-( and that is what limited me. So - I have ordered dry gloves for this year to extend my diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom