Wearable real-time ecg monitoring with emergency alert system for scuba diving.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
[NOTE: The QRS complex is a name for the combination of three of the graphical deflections seen on a typical electrocardiogram. It is usually the central & most visually obvious part of the tracing.]

"Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc.
2015 Aug;2015:6074-7. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2015.7319777.

Wearable real-time ecg monitoring with emergency alert system for scuba diving.

Cibis T, Groh BH, Gatermann H, Leutheuser H, Eskofier BM.

Abstract

Medical diagnosis is the first level for recognition and treatment of diseases. To realize fast diagnosis, we propose a concept of a basic framework for the underwater monitoring of a diver's ECG signal, including an alert system that warns the diver of predefined medical emergency situations. The framework contains QRS detection, heart rate calculation and an alert system. After performing a predefined study protocol, the algorithm's accuracy was evaluated with 10 subjects in a dry environment and with 5 subjects in an underwater environment. The results showed that, in 3 out of 5 dives as well as in dry environment, data transmission remained stable. In these cases, the subjects were able to trigger the alert system. The evaluated data showed a clear ECG signal with a QRS detection accuracy of 90 %. Thus, the proposed framework has the potential to detect and to warn of health risks. Further developments of this sample concept can imply an extension for monitoring different biomedical parameters."

Regards,

DocVikingo

Perhaps some of the medicos could share a little more info on this....

It this a system that simply monitors a diver's vital signs generally or is it there to detect a cardiac event?

How easy is it to detect a problematic heart condition? I was under the impression that it required a cardiac stress test on a treadmill or some invasive imaging procedure to detect heart disease?

Is this some technology that will produce a gadget I should start saving money for?

Perhaps some of the medicos could share a little more info on this....

1. (Q) Is this a system that simply monitors a diver's vital signs generally or is it there to detect a cardiac event?

(A) This system was designed to detect specific electrocardiological events that may be associated with certain heart-related disorder/disease. In the present study, abnormally elevated/variable heart rate was the trigger for an alert.

2. (Q) How easy is it to detect a problematic heart condition? I was under the impression that it required a cardiac stress test on a treadmill or some invasive imaging procedure to detect heart disease?

(A) It depends upon the problematic cardiac condition. Basic EKG is very effective at detecting how fast the heart is beating, whether the rhythm is steady or irregular, and the strength & timing of electrical signals as they pass through the heart. Such tracings can suggest the possibility of prior heart attacks, the presence of abnormal heart rhythms, and even that an active heart attack is underway.

3. (Q) Is this some technology that will produce a gadget I should start saving money for?

(A) At this time I would say, no.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

You would need special EKG system that can work inside your suit. I use a Galileo Sol with a chest strap, and it's just not reliable enough even just for heart rate monitoring. It would trigger too many false alarms.

Back
Top Bottom