Weekday afternoon diving in Melbourne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Npallasi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be in Melbourne in 2 weeks and will have some afternoons free -- mainly Monday and Friday. I would like to explore diving options for those afternoons. I will be staying in St. Kilda. Any suggestions?

Background -- warm water diver, with PADI advanced open water and enriched air certs. Would love to see some seadragons!

Last edited:
Shore dives under and around the Flinders Pier and Portsea Pier are where you can find weedy sea dragons.
(Mornington Peninsula)

It is going to be cold.

As joelage said flinders pier is the best spot for seadragons. High tide is the best time as it can be difficult to get in/out at low tide. They are normally found under the pier or in the grass on the left. There is no dive shop at flinders,best spot to get gear is Rye.

There is a dive shop opposite Rye pier, which is handy to get yourself sorted out in the water before heading to flinders.

On a good day Rye pier is great spot to dive all day, Rays, squid, octopus and if you time it right the spider crabs will there be in there thousands

Portsea pier can be hit or miss finding seadragons and the surge can be annoying if you want to photograph them but there is a dive shop at Portsea. Dive Vic runs boats out of Portsea but have a very limited schedule during the week.

Water is getting cold.
A car is needed to get to anything worthwhile. Flinders/Rye/Portsea are all about a 90 minute drive. Public transport sucks to get down there about a two day trip via tram train and then bus from St kilda.

Also Blairgowrie pier is also a great dive spot if you are there before they start ripping up the marina, after that it will be anyone's guess if it will be worth diving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom