Weekend Diving At Port Sanilac Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd:
Polly, the Dawnlight out of Tobermory, Ontario does liveaboard tec trips. Obviously, it's farther away, but it's a great place to dive. Ray is a great guy and the liveaboard is a good deal. Check the website at www.tobermory.com.

Thanks, I've actually dove from the Dawnlight. My shop runs a trip with Ray every year. Looking to get a different location. Ray will go to Isle Royale, but it costs a lot to move the boat, so we are looking for some other options.

scubapolly:
Thanks, I've actually dove from the Dawnlight. My shop runs a trip with Ray every year. Looking to get a different location. Ray will go to Isle Royale, but it costs a lot to move the boat, so we are looking for some other options.

Polly,

Not to hijack the thread, but I know that Capt. Gary Venet, Sr. (Rec N' Tec Dive Charters) runs charters that allow for technical diving out of Harbor Beach. As a matter of fact, I am diving the Daniel J. Morell with him in August and that wreck starts at 140 ft. with the main deck at 170. There is definitely decompression in that profile.

I am looking for operators out of the Alpena area that allow for this as I would like to organize a trip up the Cornelia Windiate and the Florida next year. Most of the operators that will run out of Whitefish Point are cool with decompression as well.

RLT is the supposed to be the operator of choice in Isle Royale.

Thanks Brian, I'll check them out.

Great trip report, but I'm curious how someone could lose their weightbelt??

SCUBAJENNIFER:
Great trip report, but I'm curious how someone could lose their weightbelt??

Stuff happens that is why they make you do a weight belt donning and doffing in your skills for your open waters. Sometimes things just arent tight or not clamped and maybe you dont notice because your trying to do all of the clipping and clamping and snapping with your dry gloves on. and any one who knows scott. I have seen coke bottles bigger around then him. That probably doesnt help either, it can slide right off of you that is why I had to put suspenders on mine it would always slide right off of my waist and end up around my ankles. Another thing we all learned in open waters it is ok to thumb the dive for any reason. that is what he did and were all safe to tell about it.

gtxl1200:
Stuff happens that is why they make you do a weight belt donning and doffing in your skills for your open waters. Sometimes things just arent tight or not clamped and maybe you dont notice because your trying to do all of the clipping and clamping and snapping with your dry gloves on. and any one who knows scott. I have seen coke bottles bigger around then him. That probably doesnt help either, it can slide right off of you that is why I had to put suspenders on mine it would always slide right off of my waist and end up around my ankles. Another thing we all learned in open waters it is ok to thumb the dive for any reason. that is what he did and were all safe to tell about it.

A BP/wings and some tank weights will solve that pesky weight belt problem..... come on over to the dark side.

scubapolly:
A BP/wings and some tank weights will solve that pesky weight belt problem..... come on over to the dark side.

I personally have been thinking about getting a wing polly. I would like to double up my big monster 95's It gets old trying to swap out tanks on a bouncing rolling boat. I only use my weight belt when I dive around here my bc is weight intergrated dont use the weight belt when I warm water dive.

SCUBAJENNIFER:
Or if you actually put your weightbelt on first! :wink:

You must not have ever seen the people who have there dry gloves permanantly attatched to there dry suit. Like Polly for example. and electricbear does also. your gloves are on as soon as your dry suit is. your buckeling and snapping and clamping with your dry gloves on. even if there not permanetly attached stuff still does happen.

Hehehe, but Ted, I've never lost a weight belt on a dive even with my dry gloves :D

Speaking of diving, when are you and I going to get wet together again????

Back
Top Bottom