Weight pocket options for the transplate harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I need to carry between 12 and 20 lbs of weight depending on which wetsuit I'm wearing. Any suggestions on ditchable weight pockets that are lower profile that might work best with this harness? I suppose I could put some on my tank, and the rest in small pockets. I have 2 pockets from Zeagle witch I like for size, but I don't know how practical removing the weight by hand would be if the need ever arose. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

Yeh, thanks captain obvious. I'm looking for what people are using and happy with. I saw those at the shop and wasn't sold, yet at least.

I have a similar delima. The Dive Rite 16 lb. pockets only hold a combined 16 lbs. I'm going to put any additional in trim pockets on the back. Ditching 16 lbs should be enough to get positive.

Last edited:
Yeh, thanks captain obvious. I'm looking for what people are using and happy with. I saw those at the shop and wasn't sold, yet at least.

My wife uses them on her transplate. So, yeah, it's kind of obvious that it works with the system.

what on earth are you diving that you need that much weight? I assume that is on top of a SS plate, so between 18-20lbs of lead? Even for Maine that sounds excessive.... Unless you're in a 7mm farmer john, but even then, you should be much less than that.
The Dive Rite pockets are good, but a weight belt and steel tanks are better...

I've got the Dive Rite 16 lbs weight pockets (8 lbs on each side) and they work just fine. Either mount horizontal or vertical. If you need more weight, you could always pick up a couple of the Dive Rite travel weight pockets and put them on your cam bands. The few times I've needed more than 16 lbs (aluminum tank, very buoyant drysuit undergarments) I wore a weight belt with a couple of pounds. If I needed more than 16 lbs regularly, I'd look at the Halcyon STA with weighted insert, but they are pricy

I got a couple of XS Scuba Quick Attach weight pockets that are ditchable. They can hold 5# in each pocket and are the same size as the small Dive Rite unditchable pockets I got with my harness/plate package. I shouldn't need to add more than 10# at most with my SS plate, but frankly if I were needing much more than that, I'd probably look to the 16# pockets mentioned early, or a weight belt.

I bought a backplate that came with a Dive Rite transplate harness with the velcro weight pockets.

After thinking and asking a lot of questions, I decided not to use them. I am using a rubber weight belt from Mako, along with the Mako pinch weights, instead.

I can get a hard eight and a soft two into my dive rite pouches...I've never tried more than that, but I'm pretty sure I could get 12 per side if they were all soft weights...I have them vertical on my Transpac...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom