Weighting Going From Single To Double Steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverite sells a plastic (kydex maybe?) backplate,

I doubt if they are kydex, to the best of my knowledge only DSS uses kydex. Kydex is expensive. A 4 x 8 sheet of Kydex is about the same cost as a 4 x 10 sheet of Stainless. The properties of Kydex IMO make it a much better fit for back plates than ABS. Many plastic back plates have been produced using ABS. I have no specific knowledge of the parts you reference, but most people using kydex are going to say so.

Tobin

I was bored at some point and weighted a lot of dive gears. Here is what I can share. Photos can be post upon request:
1. brass din first stage, MK25 and Atomic M1 in this case, ~1.35lb.
2. Thermo single pro valve: 1.5lb each
3. Thermo 230bar manifold: 4.9b total. => Cross bar along is 1.9lb only
4. Highland 2.5" wide, 7.25" diameter band set: 3.9lb
5. Most stainless steel plate quoted for 6lb is actually just above 5lb. DR SS plate: 5.06lb.

So adding a x-7 HP100, that is -2lb. Adding a 1st stage: -1.35lb. Added cross bar: -1.9lb. Adding bands: -3.9lb. Total is just a bit over 8lb. Assuming you are not changing your plate, you can subtract 8lb from your weight belt. It is inline with my own experience.
hate to bring up this old thread but something I thought about...when you did this calculation you said "Assuming you are not changing your plate, you can subtract 8lb from your weight belt". My question is...in your experience, did you use a STA on your singles setup? Because that is 2lbs negative. The reason I ask is I do use an STA which means, I will be removing that to go to doubles. This means losing possibly 6lbs from my belt assuming the calculation is correct (not 8lbs). So in your experience are you using an STA? Thanks!

For STA, it depends on the STA. My deep outdoor STA, which is on the beefy side, is only 1.5lb. Halcyon STA without weight insert is 0.8lb only. So to say STA is 2lb is a over estimate.

I am using a Halcyon STA, 0.8lb only, hardly makes much difference

For STA, it depends on the STA. My deep outdoor STA, which is on the beefy side, is only 1.5lb. Halcyon STA without weight insert is 0.8lb only. So to say STA is 2lb is a over estimate.

I am using a Halcyon STA, 0.8lb only, hardly makes much difference
Actually some of my weight is in a weighted STA which I will lose going to doubles.. I believe they are around the 5-6lb mark so I will need to factor that into my calculations. I am actually diving the doubles this weekend in a shallow area and will figure out my true weighting. So it sounds if im dropping about 8lbs total going to doubles...I will only be dropping 2 or so off my belt and 5-6 for the weighted STA...

Only sure way to know is exactly what you are planning to do - do a test dive with a weight check. Ideally with the same kit (other than tanks etc) as on another dive where you know your weighting is correct so you know the difference for the doubles.

I dive double 130's no extra weight required, in fact I am over weight, need to have redundant buoyancy.

Colliam,

I noted my direct experience communicating many hundreds of divers from all over the world to counter Storker's repeated efforts to paint me as an ignorant "provincial" who doesn't really understand who is diving what or how. Apparently the recreational use of small doubles is some sort of hot button for him. I have no idea why. We went to the mat previously when I had the unmitigated gall to suggest that divers using doubles should be trained on how doubles and manifolds actually work.

YOU make sweeping statements - then someone indicates that your statement is not 100% true. You then assume this person is trying to paint you as an ignorant "provincial" who doesn't really understand who is diving what or how!?!?!!!!!

This person might actually be right!!!!! because you are so ignorant that you cant even acknowledge that your statement however you intended is not accurate.

You call yourself a professional that service customers across the globe? Start acting that way, because only fools believe they know everything.

Just my $0.02

YOU make sweeping statements - then someone indicates that your statement is not 100% true. You then assume this person is trying to paint you as an ignorant "provincial" who doesn't really understand who is diving what or how!?!?!!!!!

This person might actually be right!!!!! because you are so ignorant that you cant even acknowledge that your statement however you intended is not accurate.

You call yourself a professional that service customers across the globe? Start acting that way, because only fools believe they know everything.

Just my $0.02

Ya it's pretty unforgivable to suggest somebody moving to doubles understand how to weight them selves for deco. The raw horror that they actually under stand the implications haunts my sleep.

And of The Original Poster is from New York, not Scandinavia. My comments oddly enough were a response to his question. Stoker apparently feels it's his duty to make sure everyone knows people dive differently in his corner of the world.

Try visiting the East side of the pond once, it might broaden your perspective a bit.

FYI, rec doubles are rather common in Northern Europe. You're welcome.

If you want to defend this level of snark from a moderator, have at it.

Tobin

Folks, CHILL!!!

Let's focus on the topic, not each other. Sometimes, words simply may not convey a common, clear meaning to all readers. Tobin explained his intended point to me (and others), and I think we can all agree that - if someone is going to use doubles, they should be prepared to do so. Weighting is part of that preparation, but there are other factors as well. And, each of us brings a different experience profile to the discussion. Tobin has one, I have a slightly different one, and Storker has yet another. Storker made a good point, that I was not aware of, and possibly others of us based in the US are not aware of - recreational doubles are apparently more common in Europe than the US. That's great to know. I don't think that Storker's comment was intended to be snarky at all.

So, back to the actual topic??? :) I think the OP was asking about potential changes in weighting in moving from a single steel cylinder configuration to double steel cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom