Weights and Harnesses (harnii?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoelW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Currently I use 26# of lead when I dive in a 6.5mm 2-piece. Since I don't like carrying all of the lead in my BC, a Zeagle, I put a chunk of it on a weight belt. This works fine except for one thing, I use a crotch strap that goes over the weight belt due to how the BC sits. This is not a big deal since I can dump the weights in the BC if I need to. Where this becomes a problem is with a dry suit. The length of the BC means that the weight belt sits pretty low. In a wetsuit I still have hips protruding that keep the belt from going anywhere. On one occasion with a tri-lam drysuit I had the belt decide that it was going to get to the bottom before me and I caught it before it left my feet. It was not a comfortable feeling on the bottom wrestling with the belt in a silt cloud next to a drop off.

That being said, I just received the neoprene drysuit that I ordered. This seems much less likely to hold the weight belt where I would like it since the weight amount is going to go up. My question is, has anyone used a ditchable weight harness while using a weight integrated BC? With such a critter the crotch strap is no longer a problem and the harness won't slip off. Pulling a pair of handles on the harness pockets will dump the weight. I recently picked up such a harness and it can be set low enough so that it is below the bottom of the BC and feels comfortable when all of the gear, including lead, is on. (not tried in the water yet). The downside to this is that there are more straps involved and it is another piece of gear to be worried about (I look like an S&M aficianado with all of the straps).

JoelW

Joel, Some other options that come to mind to reduce the discomfort level is to use Steel cylinders, add cylinder weights, use ankle weights etc. Have you tried any of these? I for one can't stand crotch straps.

P.S. Funny stuff about the S&M comment! LOL! I got a visual on that one... Yuck... LOL!

Over the years I've tried just about every kind of weights you might imagine - and the bottom line is that I have come to love steel tanks. Some of the places I've put weight (with varying degrees of comfort and success) - all over the tank, woven into the shoulder straps of the BC, a sheet of lead liberated from an xray room mod molded into the back of the BC, ankle weights (I personally find ankle weights and a neoprene drysuit to be a good match), in BC pockets - and of course regular weightbelts and integrated weights. I've never tried one of the commercial weight system harnesses myself, but they look like a good idea.
My point is that you'll do well to spend some time in the pool figuring out what configuration works for you before having to fight something you don't like when what you really want to be doing is enjoying the scenery.
Have fun... :)
Rick

JoelW,
Have you given the thought to scrapping the BC and using a stainless steel backplate and one piece harness.
The backplates come in weights of 6 and 11 lbs. Using this coupled with steel tanks you should be just about neutral. If you find that you need more weight you can add a Vee weight between the tanks.

This may help

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom