Welcome to the Freediving Forum!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking of geting a new mask for the summer. But, I'm in a dellimaat the same time. I'm tempted to buy a new mask, but I'm trying to save my$ for snowboarding next year. Any kind of advice would be appreciated. And, I'm thinking of getting a wet suit for surfing as well. Does any one out there have any advice that they can give me? Thank you for your time in answering me. Corey

Just testing.... my first post!

Hullo,

Dont know if this is the right forum to post this, but the concept of Free diving puzzles me.How is it with an air cylinder there are so many safety concerns, yet in free diving people have gone to 200 metres or more?How is this possible?

Am new to diving,having just completed basic,pardon my ignorance.

I got a notice in my email that a post had been made so I responded here.

We just got back from Cozumel. Don't know if this was there the last time I went but here's a snorkeling pic from Chankaanaab.

Christstatue_Cozumel06_sm.jpg

I'm guessing that it was close to 30' to the bottom of the statue where I took the picture from. The bubbles make it look like I was SCUBA diving but I wasn't.

Hi, everybody out there on scubaboard.com I'm still interested in corrosponding with any one who's in the area of Moncton, New Brunswick, that I could corrospond with. I would really be happy if I could do that. I plan to snorkel dive again next summer, in Shediac, 20 minutes away from Moncton. I have two other things I want to mention about snorkel diving, I want to know if I would have to take a snorkel diving certification course in order to pursue this fun sport. I also want to know if I would be able to take pictures while snorkelling in Shediac. I would like to try it next summer. My Mom has a friend who's visiting her here in Moncton, for the Christmas Holidays. And I've known her for the last 20 some years, her name's Sandra. And I was talking to her about when she and her Boy Friend went to Hawaii, and they went Snorkelling and Scuba Diving when they were in Hawaii. They snorkeled every day, she loved it. She told me that she'd go again. And I asked her what my Mom said about that. My Mom told her that I found some clam shells when I was snorkelling in Shediac this past summer. And, I asked Sandra, my Mom's friend, if she could imagine my Mom snorkelling next summer in Shediac. And she told that she could imagine my Mom Snorkelling next summer. I feel as though I need some advice on encouraging my Mom to go Snorkelling, with out pushing her in to doing it. Sandra, my Mom's friend told me that me and her could encourage my Mom to go Snorkelling next summer. But, I'm wondering if my Mom really would do it. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated. In reality, I can imagine my Mom Snorkelling next summer. Snorkel Corey P.s. My Mom's friend Sandra is visiting from Dallas, Texas. p.s. maybe there should a forum on Parents, who dive,whether it's scuba or snorkelling or both.

Wanted to say hello to other freedivers here. I've just started trying to dip below the surface, still pretty new. The experience of being able to go down enough that I actually *stay* down is pretty cool. I have no plans to try to go deep, I just like to enjoy being below and taking a closer look at the scenery. So far I'm playing it safe, avoiding hyperventilating and just letting my body tell me when to come back up. I'm an avid snorkeler and a noobie SCUBA diver, and it seems that freediving is the happy medium I've been looking for....

I went breath-hold diving at Beach 9th Street in the Rockaways, New York City yesterday.

It is an inlet that is best entered at slack tide, in this case slack high. Visibility was 15-25 feet. I dove a 1 mil hyperstretch with a 3 m shorty, and hood. Was very warm.

I used a weight harness to distribute and hold the weights on my body, Scubapro full-foot fins and tried two different masks.

It was a lot, lot, lot of fun. I haven't done this is a while and will think about set up better adapted to free diving.

If you find this little post and are knowledgeable about free dive equip (I had a site at one time, a lot of speer fishing as I remember, but I have done some speerfishing in NY waters) please keep the dream alive.

Bob Murray

Hullo,

Dont know if this is the right forum to post this, but the concept of Free diving puzzles me.How is it with an air cylinder there are so many safety concerns, yet in free diving people have gone to 200 metres or more?How is this possible?

Am new to diving,having just completed basic,pardon my ignorance.

When diving with an air cylinder, you are dealing with compressed air. The compressed air can cause many problems if the dive is not executed safely.

1. Holding your breath while ascending can cause lung expansion injuries.
2. Ascending too fast can cause the compressed air bubbles to expand before they are disposed of and can cause decompression illnesses.
3. Certain compressed gases become toxic to breath at different depths.

With free-diving you are holding your breath, not breathing compressed air. That almost eliminates the above problems. Decompression sickness can still occur, the risk is not as high though because the volume of gas in your body remains the same throughout the dive. The same applies to holding your breath. When descending while free-diving, the volume of air in your lungs decreases with the pressure and while ascending, it just returns to it's normal volume since no additional air was added.

There are still plenty of dangers associated with free-diving; DCI, loss of buoyancy, shallow water blackout, entanglement, etc. One should never free-five alone, only with a buddy or two. If going for the more extreme free-diving, a trained team of professionals should be on hand for the dive.

In the light of the recent thread about a perceived lack of snorkelling forums/sites, what about renaming the current thread "Welcome to the snorkelling / freediving forum" or "Welcome to the freediving / snorkelling forum"? After all, the forum is called "Snorkeling / Freediving".

Back
Top Bottom