Wet or drysuit in New Zealand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ:
Depends. Certainly for most situations (e.g. typical two dive rec day) it was fine. However, the dive shop I do DM work for part time has a policy of only taking groups of four on O/W dives - so instructors/DMs "double dive" a day to get a eight students through their O/W dives in a weekend..... four dives in a day, sat looking for students with problems etc was quite frankly bl**dy freezing. If you are thinking of training as a DM you might end up in this situation!!

The Pinnacle suits would be fine for this in summer - but at this time of year, never again!

There's a brand of wetsuit called Trident (made in the same factory as Pinnacle and I think they're a wholly owned subsidary?) have the same merino lining but the outer fabric seems a little more robust.

If you're going to go down the drysuit route, I'd definitely look to buy outside of NZ. You should be able to claim tax back when you leave Holland which would make it a lot cheaper than the suits here (typically NZ$2500-3500).

I reckon a drysuit is definantly the best way to go but in saying that I know heaps of people that dive wetsuits all year round, even in Wellington.

Our store stocks Trident Drysuits that are trilam, come with an undersuit for $2000. They are a nice suit and hard wearing. Maybe thats a possibility?

Azza:
I reckon a drysuit is definantly the best way to go but in saying that I know heaps of people that dive wetsuits all year round, even in Wellington.

Agreed! I prefer wetsuits when circumstances allow - but have seen the drysuit light!

Our store stocks Trident Drysuits that are trilam, come with an undersuit for $2000. They are a nice suit and hard wearing. Maybe thats a possibility?

That's a fair price if it's standard retail! Is it similar to the Pinnacle trilam? I've just bought one of those on a trade deal for just under $2k - certainly my Trident wettie has done two years of good service and if their drysuits are of a similar quality then I can probably push some custom your way at that price!

AndyNZ:
Agreed! I prefer wetsuits when circumstances allow - but have seen the drysuit light!

I used to feel like that, now I only dive dry. Call me a wuss if you like....

AndyNZ:
That's a fair price if it's standard retail! Is it similar to the Pinnacle trilam? I've just bought one of those on a trade deal for just under $2k - certainly my Trident wettie has done two years of good service and if their drysuits are of a similar quality then I can probably push some custom your way at that price!
Sorry I got that price wrong. Its $2300 retail.
They are the same as the pinnacle wetsuits, just rebranded for different stores.
I too had a great life out of my trident semi-dry. Great suits and well made...

Azza:
Sorry I got that price wrong. Its $2300 retail.
They are the same as the pinnacle wetsuits, just rebranded for different stores.
I too had a great life out of my trident semi-dry. Great suits and well made...

Still not a bad price for the suit, though... particuarly as DiveHQ with their bulk buying and common marketing etc can only retail the Pinnacle ones for $2999.

I went for a dive yesterday after work (ok, it was Lake Pupuke so don't be jealous) for the first time in my drysuit and loved it so will recommend anyone I know to consider the Trident option if it's cheaper as it's a fine suit!

AndyNZ:
Still not a bad price for the suit, though... particuarly as DiveHQ with their bulk buying and common marketing etc can only retail the Pinnacle ones for $2999.
Wow. They are a little cheaper then. I must double check that price tho as there is a difference between $2999 and $2300. My partner just bought one and although she didnt pay retail I had seen them advertised in our shop for $2300. Might be that we have a special on (I know I should know these things-The boss thinks so too)

AndyNZ:
I went for a dive yesterday after work (ok, it was Lake Pupuke so don't be jealous) for the first time in my drysuit and loved it so will recommend anyone I know to consider the Trident option if it's cheaper as it's a fine suit!

Ahh. Good ole Lake Pupuke. I dont miss that lake one bit I have to say. I only ever did a few dives in it as I worked for The Dive Centre and all our diving was off Divercity or the RHIBs.
Luckily here in Wellington I can simply walk of the beach/rocks and be diving in beautiful 10-20 metre deep ocean water.

Azza:
My partner just bought one and although she didnt pay retail I had seen them advertised in our shop for $2300.

Yeah, could be a special. Multisports have a special on the Pinnacle ones at the moment, so they are down to $2300 or so - but only until the end of the month.

Ahh. Good ole Lake Pupuke. I dont miss that lake one bit I have to say. I only ever did a few dives in it as I worked for The Dive Centre and all our diving was off Divercity or the RHIBs.

I've started worrying about my mental health - I refuse to take students into the lake, but have actually started to enjoy diving in in over the last few months....

Maybe it's time to book one of those cheap flights to Fiji?

I'm a little confused now. Some say u can use a 7mm (semi-) wetsuit all year round (both North and South) and others claim that a drysuit is better. So I guess it all depends of how people react to cold. I'm used to cold weather (brrr), but swimming in cold(er) water is kind of new to me. It makes some things (look) so small :wink:

How much heavier (metric, please :11: ) and bigger is a drysuit compared to a wet (1 piece) one? I'll be backpacking, limited in space and weight u see...

I think, I'll try both!
Greetz...

HAiko:
I'm a little confused now. Some say u can use a 7mm (semi-) wetsuit all year round (both North and South) and others claim that a drysuit is better.

Yes, you can use a 7mm semi-dry for most of New Zealand all year round. You'd probably freeze your tonker off down south in winter, but hey....

How much heavier (metric, please :11: ) and bigger is a drysuit compared to a wet (1 piece) one? I'll be backpacking, limited in space and weight u see...

Weight wise, there is probably not much in it. But a drysuit does require more careful handling. I just stuff my semi-dry in my bag and leave it to fester for a day or two until I get to wash and dry it. My drysuit gets washed off on the boat, carefully rolled, stored in the car on top of everything else so I don't break the zip.....

I think, I'll try both!

Probably the best option. If you arrive late spring and stay north - think about maybe doing your DM training with someone like Dive Tutukaka (www.diving.co.nz) you'll be fine in a semi-dry. As you travel around a bit, the semi-dry might start to get a bit chilly for you in which case go for the drysuit option.

Roughly, what sort of size are you? One of my diving buddies has a spare drysuit that he often lends out to people thinking of going dry and I can always point you in his direction when you get here.

I'm +/- 192cm tall (6'4") and let's say.. 80-85kg. Will come to NZ in sept 06, so that must be early spring. But, will be diving a bit later. Because I have to shop around for a diveschool.
Prob. it will be Tutukaka, but as I heard, it's a big diveschool and you might end up diving seeing more people than marine-life... I sure let u know when I'm overthere.
Greetz

Does it make sense to wear some undergarments under a wetsuit for insulation? I know it's all wet, but would, let say, a t-shirt (or more) be any comfort?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom