Wetsuit Question: Please Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My old farmer john allows more flush through now than I would really like. But my real nemesis is cold hands (not feet for some reason, though topside my feet are first to feel cold....). When water temps. get below about 42F I switch to 3 fingered mits. With those I can do a brief dive in as cold as 35 or less. You didn't mentioned hands, but I though I'd just throw that in.

A 7mm farmer john/jacket combo is pretty typical in the Great Lakes. 14mm on your core. If you're serious about GL diving you'll probably end up in a dry suit.

I recommend a semi-dry suit. Scubapro and Bare make good semi dry suits for less than half of what a new dry suit costs. Get a 7-10mm hood and gloves and you should be fine. I also recommend neoprene socks and books to keep your feet warm.

I just dove Lake Geneva, 40 degrees, with just a 7mil suit and a 5mil hooded vest, but I squeezed a Columbia fleece jacket in between the vest and suit, and it helped a ton, also just some normal socks under my boots. I wouldn't say I was warm, but I was able to dive and be comfortable enough to make a 40 minute dive

I cert'd in Puget Sound in the first of June in a wet suit, very chilly. We asked the instructor what we could do to stay warmer for day 2 and he said a pair of nylons. I was 17 at the time and when I asked the clerk what size nylons I needed she had a field day, "Queen size" she said. Ohhh man. But they did keep me warmer and they were cheap.

If it fits under a wetsuit, the Columbia type fleece jacket helps a lot, and when you come out of the water and are taking your suit off, it still helps keep wind off etc

A well fitting wetsuit is NOT going to have room for a fleece jacket. However, if the suit you are wearing has the room, then it is much better to wear something like that to take up the space and eliminate circulation of water.

I found that thick wool socks worn under 7 mm neoprene boots made my feet much warmer in coldwater. 3 mm neoprene socks, (if there is room inside the boot) will help even more.

Just to add this this thread (I know it's a year old...but it helps people with searching for good info).

Wool is good, as it insulates even when wet. So the above poster mentioned putting wool socks on under your boats...and that makes sense for the insulating even when wet properties.

*I'm a new diver, have never done this, just commenting on wool.

Back
Top Bottom