Wetsuit rental in/near Poipu, Kauai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spatman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to rent a suit for about a week so I don't have to pack my crappy one. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for rentals in the Poipu area.Thanks.

There are a couple dive shops in Poipu. I went with Fathom Five when I was there a few years ago. They were good to work with, although I brought my own gear with me. My steel backplate certainly drew a lot of questions. There's another shop called Bubbles Below, which I only visited, but they also had a decent lineup of rental gear.
Water temp will probably be around upper-mid 70s. I wore my full length 3mm with a Lavacore tee underneath. I recommend calling ahead to make sure you can get a full length suit. If memory serves, the most common rental suit was a 3mm shorty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm looking to rent a suit for about a week so I don't have to pack my crappy one. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for rentals in the Poipu area.Thanks.

If you're diving within the next couple months, you may find visibility pretty crappy for shore diving.

AFAIK, boat diving with Bubbles Below is your best option

If you're diving within the next couple months, you may find visibility pretty crappy for shore diving.

AFAIK, boat diving with Bubbles Below is your best option

Crappy as in 5'-10' or what?

Last edited:
I had a great experience diving with Fathom Five several years ago, not sure about other dive shops though as I only went there, but they treated me right and had good gear.

For rentals I'd second Seasport as well! My first time diving with bubbles below was great! ...but the second time, not so much. They cancelled a trip on account of weather and refused to give me a refund. Just said I could take it as a credit knowing that I was flying out the day after and couldn't dive anymore on my trip. I finally got a refund but it was hours of fighting.

Just for clarification - the shore should actually be quite fantastic this time of year. Koloa Landing which is the primary south shore dive has been awesome (with the exception of a 3 day period impacted by a very rare out of season south swell). It's not unusual to get 30-50ft vis there and even on the lower days the critters are fantastic.

Poipu has SeaSport Divers - Marvin Otsuji as a great rental location and a very large beautiful store. Not sure on thickness of suits but likely 3 - 5mm.

Koloa has Fathom Five Divers - A smaller shop with 5/3mm and 5 mm rentals.

Bubbles Below on the west side - Has a shop there near the harbor but I don't "think" they have rental gear at the shop.

Contacting any of these shops I am quite sure you will be taken excellent care of with any of your needs.

Won't a week's worth of renting end up costing about 1/2 of the price of a new suit? I have nice suits that fit me well and keep me warm and the most expensive was $180. I got them all as new old stock on clearance, which does require a little shopping around and maybe a little patience but the shop where I bought mine still has a bunch of suits (ScubaPro, Bare, and Waterproof brands) on clearance.

I'll also recommend Seasport Divers for both equipment and diving. I was there in early December and had a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom