Wetsuits in washing machine???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wash my wetsuits in a top loader clothes washer, maximum water (select heavy load), gentle agitation. Stop the washer after the neutral drain (right before the spin cycle) and remove the suit. Hang it and let it drip dry.

The front loader uses much less water and is designed to move detergent filled water through the clothes. It may not be as effective as the top loader due to wetsuits not allowing water to pass through the material.

There is just no need to take a chance on the suit of with the machine, especially if salt water is in the equation. A quick pass through the dunk tank is almost all we have ever needed. If we pick up a bio-load then a shot of sink-the-slink puts that right. We have not needed to do that in years and we hydrate liberally if you know what I mean. :wink:

If you insist then I would agree that a ride in a front loader would be far safer than tangling with an agitator.

Last edited:
Small squirt of the sink the stink and a large bucket to dunk the wetsuit, simple agitation or let it stay in bucket with STS juice for 15 minutes and then drip dry... How hard is that and your suit never goes through the stress of the machine washer...

Think pro-active and reduce energy by not washing one garment in your washing machine... Help protect our precious environment...

Thanks,

MG

always have used the washing machine, on gentle.......just made sure it was well placed, and did not use detergent, but a capfull of clothing softener, just to make it smell nice.
not a problem. The only problem you may have is if your elder mother finds you doing it in hers.
That is a big big problem.

Absolutely---------on gentle cyle with a little Woolite--------has worked for almost 25 years......one 2 mm shortie I have(bought in the early 90's--& it's still in very good shape) has been thru almost a hundred washings.......

I have been washing our wetsuits for years and have had no problem with them. I do have a front loader though with no agitator. Do not put in the dryer. Just hang up. Its so much better than hand washing.

always have used the washing machine, on gentle.......just made sure it was well placed, and did not use detergent, but a capfull of clothing softener, just to make it smell nice.
not a problem. The only problem you may have is if your elder mother finds you doing it in hers.
That is a big big problem.

I always use detergent and fabric softener. I usually use tide. I have been washing mine for over 10 years and my wetsuit is in excellent condition.

I agree with Zosimus, after the bathtub, take your suit outside and hang it on one of those plant shepperd hook things that you push into the ground, with the suit on a hanger of course, then hose it off, in and out, move the shepperd hook to wherever the sun is and turn the suit inside out a few times till it's dry...works like a charm. you can buy the hooks at lowes or home depot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom