Wetwear Atlantis Polartec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W0X0F

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got the Atlantis Polartec skin/wetsuit from Wetwear and used it on four dives on the Vandenberg last weekend. I thought a review might be useful for others, so here goes...

I dive mostly warm, tropical waters and love diving with just trunks and a rash guard, but I wanted more protection from scrapes and jellies. I recently came across the Lavacore brand of suits which seemed to fit the bill. I liked the idea of a tough, neutrally buoyant suit, but I couldn't get past the Made in China label.

In researching their material and other suits like it, it became obvious that Polartec was the standard-bearer material for such a wetsuit/skin. Then I discovered that Wetwear made a custom Polartec suit called the Atlantis, and they make it out of real Polartec, not a Polartec-like material. I had spoken to Connie at Wetwear at local dive shows and wanted to some day justify a custom-fitted wetsuit but just hadn't made the leap. When I realized that their custom-fit Atlantis Polartec was just $25 more than the off-the-rack competition, I had to do it!

When I went for the measurements, I couldn't believe how many measurements they took! It started becoming obvious why they do so many measurements when I went in for the trail fitting. The wetsuit felt like a second skin -- like something an action movie super hero would wear! Even at that, they marked it up for some final adjustments. I opted to have them install forearm zippers and a thigh pocket, both optional items. My only concern was that it seemed very warm as I tried it on at the shop.

On the boat, the heat issue didn't seem to be a factor at all. i donned the top half just before the dive. In the water, I hardly noticed that I had the suit on -- just what I wanted. On the boat between dives, the suit drained well and I unzipped the front zipper. I unzipped the forearm zippers and folded the material back for a little extra cooling. In 85 degree temps i was perfectly comfortable. For even more cooling, I could have pulled the entire top down, but it wasn't necessary.

After the dive, I inverted the suit as I removed it, which really helped it drain. After a fresh-water rinse, I hung it overnight inside out. It was mostly dry by evening and completely dry by the morning.

I didn't get a chance (that I know of) to test its abrasion resistance on the four dives, but on the last dive we did have to ascend through a field of moon jellies and one managed to wrap itself around my forearm. I helped it on its way and brushed off the suit with my (gloved) hand. Not even a tingle of a sting! Of course, that was pretty much what I expected.

All in all I am thrilled with the suit! It's lighter that my 3/2 neoprene wetsuit and neutrally buoyant. That means about four to six pounds less weight that I have to wear. I'll be taking it with me to Bonaire in February -- that should give its abrasion resistance a good testing! I'll try to remember to post a follow-up.

-Mike

P.S. -- I have absolutely no affiliation with any wetsuit manufacturers, including Wetwear, except as a customer.

I have been with Wetwear at three shows.They had the booth next to me. I saw just what you described in the attention to detail they have. My next wetsuit is coming from them when it's time to replace my Pinnacle's.

Back
Top Bottom