Whale Shark at GA Aquarium Dies...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keep in mind the aquariums in asia have 3 whale sharks in captivity for 10+ years in a tank half the size as the one in atlanta.

Is captivity wonderful? No, probably not, but lots of animals live longer in captivity than the wild, and sometimes, temporary captivity can help save the lives of endangered sea creatures. I think that something as big as a whale shark, which clearly roams THOUSANDS of miles of ocean a year maybe isn't the best animal to keep in a tank, but unfortunately it's how we learn about the world.

Dustinh:
Is captivity wonderful? No, probably not, but lots of animals live longer in captivity than the wild, and sometimes, temporary captivity can help save the lives of endangered sea creatures. I think that something as big as a whale shark, which clearly roams THOUSANDS of miles of ocean a year maybe isn't the best animal to keep in a tank, but unfortunately it's how we learn about the world.

Its nearly impossible to know how or if a fish consciously processes quality of life issues vis-a-vis tank size. At some point, I assume, tank size can affect health for specific physiological reasons but above that, I personally doubt that a fish gets the blues (in any sort of conscious way) from not having a big enough area to swim around in. For the belugas however, I suspect it may be a different story (i.e., - I would not be surprised if they get bored). Still, Gasper was in a much better situation in Atlanta compared to the Mexican amusement park.

GA Under Water:
I was never impressed by GA Aquarium. Chattanooga was better IMO. Sure GA is Huge but you have Very little "window time" unlike TN that has a 5 story one that you see the whole time walking down a square spiral ramp.

One of the Belugas had a weird story, He was rescued from the Pond under a Roller Coaster in Mexico where he was being kept. Can't remember if it was Gasper or not.

Its partly a matter of emphasis. I tend to agree about the GA Aquarium vs Chattanooga, but the GA Aquarium is getting better IMO. The GA aquarium kind of goes for the gee-whiz factor whereas Chattanooga seems to have more, but smaller exhibits (e.g., a whole section dedicated to numerous turtle species), more signage, and a bit more of a local emphasis. Some people probably prefer the gee-whiz (i.e., big) stuff though.

drbill:
I think this is sad... but not unexpected IMHO

Agreed...

I commend them for trying to keep the shark in captivity for even 1 year. That is a tremendous investion (probably in the millions of dollar).

The data gathered from it - including the necropsy (autopsy on animals) - would be well worth it.

We have to remember that it is captive breeding that saved the black footed ferret and the whooping crane from extinction. If we had done it earlier for passenger pigeons, it might have saved them too.

Back
Top Bottom