Whaling thread gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf:
I'm from Seattle. This is where "Namu", the very first recorded Orca was "captured". It took a man a short time to "train" this gentle giant. (I kinda like quotation marks)

Greetings to you from Seattle! A city I've spent a year of my life in and where I have friends I miss. -Beautiful surroundings! -Beautiful people!

So, what do you think of whale shows and to keep whales in captivity? I visited the Victoria Aquarium some twenty years ago. It was an awsome experience then, but after seeing orcas in the wild, the thought of the animals in the "zoo" just makes me sad. Why do you write CAPTURED in quotation marks? Wheren't they "really" captured?

By the way, Norwegian orcas, NOT in an aquarium... [Movie, 12 MB] Video footage of some friends of mine. Pretty nice, actually.

And here's a short version in flash [instant Flash movie w/o sound]

sea nmf:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Opinions can be changed with the presentation of previously unheard "facts". That is why discussions are beneficial. However, all "facts" are not factual (that was fun to write) so we must be careful not to believe everything we hear, read, or even see.

Yes, we've seen some examples of that here at this board regarding whaling...

I put quotes around captured because it was accidental. He was caught in a fishing net. After the world found out about the intelligence and gentleness of this creature, the captures were on purpose.

No, I don't like the captive shows. They served a valuable purpose in the early days - teaching the average person the value of these creatures, even beyond entertainment. Now I think the captures must stop. If we must have the shows, let only creatures born in captivity be used. I think our noble experiment to release a whale back into the wild was a failure. I'm glad we tried, though.

Regarding zoos, I visited the San Diego Zoo and had to leave because I don't like to see animals in small cages, either. And the cages and habitats at the SDZ are rather large. They pale in comparison to the animals natural habitat. Don't get me wrong. I know zoos have their value. I just personally have a sad reaction so I stay away from them now.

By the way, I live in Honolulu now (another beautiful city) but did live in Seattle at the time Namu was brought in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom