What are some of the most beautiful sights you saw while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are [Christmas tree worms] distributed through all coral reefs?
Maybe not all coral reefs, but they can be found throughout the tropics. Like so many other animals, if you move slowly and calmly they won't run and hide.

As for beautiful things I've seen, the more I think about it the longer the list gets, though "beautiful" isn't the right word. Depending on what it was, interesting, unusual, and magical are probably the better descriptions. Just "beautiful" can be a dime a dozen.

I saw a filament blenny on my first trip to Roatan, and then needed help from the internet to identify it. That's because the Bay Islands is the only place they're known, and even there they're very rare. Rare enough that my edition of Humann's Reef Fish Identification doesn't list it. I gather that newer editions do or will:
Alert Diver | Hit List

On a dive in Palau (maybe Blue Corner, but I'd have to drag out old log entries) we saw a school of devil rays swim by. A friend got a (not so great) picture with 20 in it. IIRC it was a day or two after the dive pro had been out on our boat. He said he's been diving there for 12 years and never seen that himself, though he knew of several instances of it happening.

Also in Palau I managed to insinuate myself inside a fairly large school of fish during a drift dive. For perhaps 10 minutes I just drifted along with several dozen of them all around me.

In Yap (same trip) we watched from below as the waves broke over the reef with bright sunlight shining on them from behind.

A trip to Cayman Brac resulted in doing several dives and some surface interval snorkeling in the company of a wild porpoise that enjoyed the company of people. He pushed on my foot in an apparent effort to prevent me from descending. I also put my hand in his mouth to feel his teeth. Probably far better than paying for a canned dive with porpoises.

And that reminds me of yet another sight in Palau. Dozens of spinner dolphins jumping and playing in our wake as we were on our way to Peleliu for a day.

Not actually diving but two weeks ago in a remote part of the Madagascan islands we heard dolphins breathing. Ive dived and swum with them many times and heard squeaks and chatter but never been anywhere so silent to hear them breathing. There were about a dozen playing around our boat when the boatman cut the engines so we could enjoy them - hearing them breath was totally unexpected.

Diving with a dolphin off Cayman Brac and 21 dolphins off the Big Island of Hawaii

Diving with Minke whales and giant Cod on the GBR

The sea life and soft coral off New Britain and in the Red Sea off Egypt

Diving with Mantas off the Big Island of Hawaii

Diving in Canyons off Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac

Diving off the Florida Keys

The Big turtles off Maui

The small life off Bonaire

The variety off from Aruba

Diving off from Papua New Guinea

Diving off South Africa

The deep blue when moving from the reef and out over Bloody Bay Wall off of Little Cayman. Breathtaking beauty.

Ok. Again love this thread and even though I have posted before I am compelled to talk about my nm 2 experience. We were in Belize, last dive and Captain got all excited over a shark rolling on the surface. We were mostly kitted up and my wife was ready to go in (we always made her go first since she must breath through her ears, comes up with 1500 pds when we are tank dry). So as she gets prepped he says " don't worry about the sharks just get in the water " WTF????. She rolled in with me right behind her, wide eyed we looked around for sharks instead we saw dolphins. Mom, dad and a baby, he gave us the hairy eyeball but must have decided we were not a threat. Then as they swam away we heard them sing. A few seconds later another pod flew by, singing as they went. I almost cried, what an incredible experience. When we got back on the boat the captain said the dolphins rolled the shark to protect the baby. Magnificent animals, and what an incredible experience. I almost feel sorry for those that have never experienced what we have seen but then understand how blessed I am. 7 weeks and we will be in Roatan and can't wait for our next adventure. Have I mentioned how much I absolutely love this sport? Bill ( packed and ready to go)
Brilliant!

We're so stoked to be in Belize for the very first time this Dec., as well as practically tripping over you in Roatan this May. :wink::)

On the last dive of our (very) recent trip to Anthony's Key Resort, we were visited by a pod of wild dolphins that came swimming by and even swam close to us to check us out. There is nothing more thrilling! After it was over I checked my gages to see that I hadn't sucked up all my air, I was so excited! I hadn't. Barely made a dent. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom