What BCD to buy?

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greets' started by garklaw, Mar 26, 2008.

1. garklaw

garklaw Garibaldi

Hi all,
    I am upgrading my bcd and was hoping for some advice, I'm looking at Mares or Scubapro. I am an Instructor so dive fair bet, but it also needs to be light wight for travelling. If anyone has a new mares or scubapro bcd, i'd love some feed back.
    cheers
    Gark

2. Zak OHara

Zak OHara Equipment Manufacturer

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Hmmmm, guess what I think?:D LOL.

Seriously, if you would like to know any specifics, please feel free to ask.

Happy shopping, and I extend a warm welcome to the board!

Sincerely,

3. Zak OHara

P.S. You will probably receive more feedback if you were to post this question in the BCD subforum.

Mods, maybe you'd like to move it?

Best regards,

4. Scubadad1

Scubadad1 Scuba Instructor

Hi, I used to have a Mares BCD but wasn't happy. Bought a Seaquest Pro QD about 4/5 years ago. Still pristine and so comfortable. I am an instructor in Sharm so it gets a fair amount of use and abuse and I find it great for teaching. Had minor problems but Seaquest in the UK were great and just issued a new BCD - great customer service. I regret I can't say the same for Mares in the UK. Hope this is useful.

5. DivingPrincessE

DivingPrincessE Single Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Welcome to the board! I wonder how long it will take this thread to turn into a BCD vs BP/W discussion :popcorn:

6. Zak OHara

Hi,

I'm not sure which bcd you had previously, but please note our bcd's have vastly improved. Check out the May edition of Scuba Diving magazine travel bcd review. Our back inflate bcd "Icon" received best remarks.

I am certain our CS levels have improved greatly from 6 years ago as well. I hope will allow us the opportunity to show you this in the future.

Sincerely,

7. Zak OHara

Move this to the bcd forum and I'm sure it would take mere seconds. LOL.

8. Chipmon

Chipmon Nassau Grouper

I have not used a Mares, but I dive a Scubapro Classic Plus. It is very sturdy, but very heavy. If you fly to dive, the Scubapro will add alot of pounds to your gear. I really love the BC. I had a Seaquest prior to the Scubapro, and it was really a great BC as well.

9. alexeychusta

alexeychusta Angel Fish

i use Origin Sport MRS Plus

10. ToPpS

ToPpS Single Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I have the Mares Pegasus BCD. It's a simple "no frills" back inflation bcd.
    The Icon and the Dragon are both very nice bcds. The icon ticks the travel requirements that you have. The Dragon would be my choice if I could do it all over again.

Try help some of out on this forum. Select a few BCDs that you like..... list them here and then we can sit back and compare them for you.

11. mudhole

mudhole Surface Interval Member

I've tried both, and chose Scubapro's Glide. . . I have shoulder trouble and the Scubapro design fit me better. I did dive a couple of Mares and they were good, a little less expensive, but didn't fit me quite as well. . . If you're over 60 my observation may fit you, also. You really need to try BC's in the water to know your best fit.

12. twochuck

twochuck Garibaldi

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    look at the zeagle ranger...its what we use and i have had no issues with it

13. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Angel Fish

# of Dives:
    I personally prefer scubapro T-black, just love the style and the air capacity...

14. Karel26

Karel26 Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Hey Gerklaw. .

I use the Marse Icon bcd. . I really enjoy it as it is a light bc
    made for travelles. . It is back invlation wich i find more
    comfortable. . You can also remove the bladder and then just
    have a harness that you can use. .

Live to dive and dive to live. . . . :burnout:

15. Interceptor121

Interceptor121 Scuba Instructor

I am an instructor too and I use a Mares Vector 1000 MRS
    The BCD is traditional and probably I would not use it if I was not teaching however when you are in this line of business you have to consider:
    1. That is better to have gear that is similar to the one the rental student has so in one word simple
    2. You definitely need a BCD with pockets as well as trim weights so that when you demonstrate hovering or teach buoyancy you have many options to show together with the belt
    3. You need something sturdy
    4. You need comfort and the Vector has a good cushion on the back
    5. Last but not least you need massive pockets if you don't want to look like a Christmas three
    I am in the water with by huge SMB (AP Valves Buddy), a pocket reel, a knife, slates, spare torch, pocket mask
    AND ALL FITS INTO THE POCKETS

I have tried other BCD for teaching and the pockets were tiny, to teach you don't need super cool equipment just something that does the job

Final note it weights 3.6 Kg is not very light but not too heavy and I would not opt for a travel version with tiny pockets to teach