What Caves To Go To?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which agency requires two entrances for Intro/Basic Cave? I know that NACD used to limit me to single tank 1/3rds, but it seems that now diving doubles to 1/6th, mainline only, no stages are the main limitations.

Well, I am only assuming the OP trained through TDI (according to their profile). According to TDI standards,

"18.6 Course Structure and Duration Water Execution 1. Minimum of 4 single guideline cave dives with a total bottom time of 100 minutes conducted at 2 different sites."

Claiming the Ear and Eye are two different sites is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Attachments

• TDI Diver Standards_18_Intro_to_Cave_Diver.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 86
Which agency requires two entrances for Intro/Basic Cave? I know that NACD used to limit me to single tank 1/3rds, but it seems that now diving doubles to 1/6th, mainline only, no stages are the main limitations.

The NSS-CDS has/had that requirement. I have seen old literature that had the two different system requirement. I can't find a clear cut new example, but Jim Wyatt's website (President of NSS-CDS) lists minimum of two entrances on his Basic Cave page.

The NSS-CDS has/had that requirement. I have seen old literature that had the two different system requirement. I can't find a clear cut new example, but Jim Wyatt's website (President of NSS-CDS) lists minimum of two entrances on his Basic Cave page.
Apprentice Cave Diver through the CDS requires at least two different sites. It doesn't seem to matter until you get to that level. I thought the OP just completed Cave, which was why I questioned it.

"A total of four (4) cave dives utilizing two (2) dive sites. At least one (1) of these sites will be a location not utilized in training during the Basic/Intro to Cave Diver or Cavern Diver courses. Minimum total bottom time in the overhead required to complete this level of training is 200 minutes."

Attachments

• CDS-November-2015-Standards.pdf
    982.4 KB · Views: 77
You can't really go wrong with Ginnie - it is a big system with lots to see. Peacock, Madison, and Little river were all dives we did shortly after being cave certified on our own. I wouldn't go to Cow until you are comfortable with restrictions. I would definitely make sure you go with someone who has been there before.

We'll go back to Ginnie but I want to explore other sites too. Thanks for the recommendations

Apprentice Cave Diver through the CDS requires at least two different sites. It doesn't seem to matter until you get to that level. I thought the OP just completed Cave, which was why I questioned it.

"A total of four (4) cave dives utilizing two (2) dive sites. At least one (1) of these sites will be a location not utilized in training during the Basic/Intro to Cave Diver or Cavern Diver courses. Minimum total bottom time in the overhead required to complete this level of training is 200 minutes."
I just completed intro and only dove Ginnie. We did both entrances but no where else.

Well, I am only assuming the OP trained through TDI (according to their profile). According to TDI standards,

"18.6 Course Structure and Duration Water Execution 1. Minimum of 4 single guideline cave dives with a total bottom time of 100 minutes conducted at 2 different sites."

Claiming the Ear and Eye are two different sites is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I agree. Those standards are recent too. With the flooding as bad as it was this year, how does TDI expect instructors to certify students in March/April if they actually followed the standards? I'm not the most knowledgeable, but the only sites that I know of that remained open in High Springs were Ginnie, Manatee, and Eagles Nest. Even if Manatee diveable with very low flow because of the flooding, the viz can be questionable---I remember seeing the board at CCDS listing viz at 15ft. I have to double check, but I believe class standards state you need at least 30 ft of starting viz in order to do a Cavern/Basic certification dive.

I agree. Those standards are recent too. With the flooding as bad as it was this year, how does TDI expect instructors to certify students in March/April if they actually followed the standards? I'm not the most knowledgeable, but the only sites that I know of that remained open in High Springs were Ginnie, Manatee, and Eagles Nest. Even if Manatee diveable with very low flow because of the flooding, the viz can be questionable---I remember seeing the board at CCDS listing viz at 15ft. I have to double check, but I believe class standards state you need at least 30 ft of starting viz in order to do a Cavern/Basic certification dive.
Well, there's Jackson. Closed sites and poor conditions is just part of the game. I don't feel it's a good reason to bypass standards.

All of them.

There are several options.

1. You can request a waiver due to flooding. Generally speaking many instructors choose this option.
2. You can use Marianna.
3. You can use Manatee -- usually the vis is good enough when everything else is blown, I taught a full cave class a few weeks back that spent one day at Manatee and we were delighted to find 60' of visibility.

TDI Standards:

Cavern -
Four cavern dives with a total bottom time of 80 minutes conducted at 2 different sites

Intro -
Minimum of 4 single guideline cave dives with a total bottom time of 100 minutes conducted at 2 different sites

Full -
  1. 8 cave dives are required with a minimum accumulated bottom time of 240 minutes at 3 different sites

2. At least 1 of these sites should be a location not utilized in training during the cavern or introductory cave courses

3. For divers entering the cave program without cavern / introductory cave diving certification, 16 cave dives with 420 minutes of total bottom, not including decompression time, are required

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom