What do you think about 3 d printed coral reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Its pretty amazing to me that we now have the capability to actually make real looking 3D printed artificial reefs.
The artificial corals will attract baby coral polyps to live in and build on them as well as attract organisms that live around coral reefs like algae, anemones, octopi, crabs and fish.

coral_reefs.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

Example of technology and people bringing balance back to our world's oceans.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Last edited:
my question is ...what is the amount of time it would take to print something that size or a size to initiate growth?

One would have to evaluate the cost/benefit versus other materials. For example, maybe the 3D printed coral establishes a healthy reef in 5 years, and costs $100 per square foot. Maybe concrete blocks take 7 years, but cost $10 per square foot.

So, with a $10000 investment, I could have 100 square foot of healthy reef in 5 years, or 1000 square feet in 7 years. That's 14sf/year versus 142sf/year.

I'm only making up these numbers, but my point is just because it looks cool doesn't mean it is the best solution (of time and/or money). Gotta get the most bang!!

I'd love to hear more about the 3d printed coral, especially the finances.

my question is ...what is the amount of time it would take to print something that size or a size to initiate growth?
Interesting question. I would assume if the coral reef was made to look really similar in size and color to the original coral in the area, and the orifices to house the polyps were just as detailed in similarity, than the chances of an inviting move, are pretty good. I would think that there would need to be a significant amount of other healthy corals/reefs in the area that can have a massive spawning event which would provide tenants for the 3D coral. But I would like to hear from the pros on this, it is quite interesting.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

The geometry of Acropora is really ideal for 3D printing - largely hollow with enough convoluted air spaces to make casting and injection moulding inefficient.

What materials are they using? Would be concerned about the longevity and buoyancy characteristics of typical ABS and nylon. They structures can be weighed and bonded to the reef, but what if a pieces break off?

keep us informed of your findings....perhaps an aquarium study would be a good start.

I would also be interested in the long term breakdown of the printed reef. We have enough plastic in the oceans already, intentionally adding more for the sake of appearances (because really that's all it is) is a little disturbing. The composites they have for 3D printing now are not designed to hold up to long term UV radiation and the corrosive properties of saltwater.

As far as providing a place for coral polyps to land and grow, well - they don't really have a choice in the matter. I could put a Tonka truck in the middle of the ocean and if the current were to deposit a polyp or 2 on it, a new coral would grow.

I'd be more interested in seeing someone actually perform grand scale coral propagation, clipping pieces off of healthy coral and attaching it to a new reef structure and allowing it to regrow. It's faster, safer, and a proven technique to grow new coral.

Coral polyps don't have to settle on other coral. Actually they won't survive if they do, the established colony will kill and/or eat them!

The 3d printed coral look cool, but that is likely the only major benefit. Most artificial reefs are not designed to replicate a living coral reef, but rather to add additional substrate, foraging areas and habitat to hide in. In fact putting artificial reefs too close to natural reefs is detrimental to the natural reef and the artificial reef doesn't work as well either. "Too close" is very dependent on site specifics though.

What the printed structures are made of is another issue altogether.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom