What fins to purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
AE Puccinelli

AE Puccinelli

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am an older diver, but in very good shape. I have tried different fins, including Force Fins, and I cannot seem to generate the power I expected. At present I have Scuba Pro Seawing type. I tried ,many differing kick styles and still can't keep up with my wife in current. I have read about the Mares Avanti Quattro Pro. and the Tusa HyFlex. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
Appreciate the feedback.

What kick style do you use? This will change what folks recommend because some fins are not well equipped for frog kick (which counter-intuitively generates more power than a flutter kick).

I have Mares Quattro Pro+ fins and could not be happier with them. They are great for frog kick, modified frog/flutter and are both comfortable and also precise. The one downside is that they are large and a bit heavy, so you'll need a large-ish suitcase if you travel with them. Sizing is also a bit hit or miss at the individual level, so I would say try your expected size and one size up/down depending on how they fit. Sloppy fitting fins will both tire you out and be less efficient.

Hello,
I think the first response was the best. The Mares Quattro is an excellent fin. I dove them for many years open water/cave. I also use pair of regular for wetsuit and XL for drysuit. Especially excellent fin when frog kicking. I never thought they would come out with a better fin but they did. The Mares Excel/Excite fin is even better that the Quattro. Wider center membranes and TWICE as deep on the back side of the fins, especialliay use for frog kicking. been diving them for about the last 13 years. For cave I always wear double 104's

Back
Top Bottom