What Gear Needs To Be Stored In A Temperature Controlled Environment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewdawg1977

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I live in California and have amassed a decent collection of gear. Problem is, I have a baby coming and all this stuff needs to be moved out of it's current location in my guest room closet. I'd like to put some/all of it in the garage, but it gets quite hot out there in the summer and a bit cold in the winter. What can I put out there and without jeopardizing the gear? Below is a brief list of things I am concerned about:

Tanks
Regulators
BCDs
Drysuits
Computers
Random extra hoses and parts

Thanks, Scubaboard, for you usual great insight!

Drew :)

Good thing for CA is its pretty dry. I would store regs and computer inside. I think everything else could go in the garage as long as you don't have it sitting where the sun is shining directly on it

Tanks

Cold is not an issue I don't think except maybe for batteries.

Heat is. How hot is hot? If you are talking 100+ it could be rough on stuff.

Tanks OK in the garage, but everything else needs to be stored in cool and dry (low humidity) place.

Lived in CA, my garage did not qualify as a cool dry place.

Just be aware of mice. They got into my storage and I had to but a new BCD, gear bag, plus some other less expensive pieces.

Tanks can be stored in the garage, but everything else needs to be in a better storage place away from the heat.

Just be aware of mice. They got into my storage and I had to but a new BCD, gear bag, plus some other less expensive pieces.

And cockroaches too. Cockroaches love to eat mask skirts.

Tanks in garage for sure. Pressure increase with absolute temperature, from 75F to 100F, it is only about 5% increase in Kelvin, not a big deal at all. I have my backplate and metal stuff in garage as well.

Everything else should be inside, reg, wing, dry suit ... They don't take up much space.

Back
Top Bottom