What Gear Not To Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

testosterone-chemical-structure1.jpg

simple 3M Comfort Grip work gloves
I like the idea, but Amazon shows a million types of 3M comfort grip gloves. What type are you diving with?

Also, I tend to slap "BF" in front of any object I want to describe as REALLY big. As in the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philadelphia is a BFB in more than one sense. Now it occurs to me that Storker's BFK may actually be a BRAND of knife. Or were you just saying you use a REALLY big knife? (like I originally thought.)

Just try and cut the bad guy's air hose with a broken steak knife. That I'd like to see. :)

I would not trust myself to be able to open a folder in a high stress situation - fixed blade all the way - and a blunt tipped one at that. 2" blade seems appropriate for all applications...that I may encounter.
If things go that bad you can just as well drop your fixed blade knife from your trembling hands. I found one such dagger on the bottom and I still wonder what had happened to the original owner. Did he drop it while being eaten by a tiger shark or was he kidnapped by Somali pirates who had even bigger knives, maybe even machetes?! But never mind, I found it in 30 ft at the Old Airport, Kona, Hawaii. Likely, just another macho man got tangled in his own dive flag string and had to cut it urgently to free himself...
10880895506_155d8a7c81_b.jpg

If things go that bad you can just as well drop your fixed blade knife from your trembling hands. I found one such dagger on the bottom and I still wonder what had happened to the original owner. Did he drop it while being eaten by a tiger shark or was he kidnapped by Somali pirates who had even bigger knives, maybe even machetes?! But never mind, I found it in 30 ft at the Old Airport, Kona, Hawaii. Likely, just another macho man got tangled in his own dive flag string and had to cut it urgently to free himself...
View attachment 371367

oh wow that is an interesting photo for sure - or maybe it was just some rec diver dropping it over the side of the boat - either way I see your point. I just wouldn't want to have to unfold a knife in drygloves - it's a pain I've done it.

The highlight of the classroom training, for me, was when we learned about the equipment (or, as we scuba veterans say, the "gear"). Your basic diving outfit is a mask and flippers, plus the breathing apparatus, which you can rent. But there are all kinds of other neat gear objects you can get, the neatest one, as far as I'm concerned, being: a knife. All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged. "Diving knives are practical tools, " states the PADI course manual, "providing you with a means to measure, pry, dig, cut and pound under water." But the REAL advantage, which the manual fails to note, is that you can wear your knife strapped to your leg.

There's something about striding around with a knife strapped to your leg that makes you feel exceedingly James Bondlike. If you can keep a little secret, I will confess to you that right at this very moment, as I write these words, I have my knife strapped on. Just in case somebody comes along and, for example, tries to cut my word processor cord. As Ray Lang put it, during one of his colorful diving anecdotes: "You never can tell when the inevitable is gonna happen."

- Dave Barry: Blub Story - a very deep experience

Bmoogle ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is a principle I get behind. LOL.

View attachment 371367

Looks like my old Blue Tang ... the first diving knife I ever owned. But I lost it long before I went to Kona ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like the idea, but Amazon shows a million types of 3M comfort grip gloves. What type are you diving with?

Until now, just the general use ones.

3m-comfort-grip-nitrile-foam-work-gloves-super-grip-200-general-use-for-s-a38d063ebf42c0e39382c27d51fd8579.jpg
sarung_tangan_3m_comfort_grip_gloves_5550615_1432106845.jpg

I'm looking around (the Philippines) to see if I can find a pair of the cut-resistant ones to trial. But, the general use ones seem to offer more than adequate protection for the wreck penetration diving I do - no issues with rusted metal, coral and stinging hydriods on permanent shotlines...

The rubber grip is really exceptional for gripping wet metal (dive boat ladders etc)... and there's excellent dexterity and tactile feedback. I find them perfect for guideline work in wrecks...also for technical wreck training (feeling marker knots in caveline etc).

Eventually, the gloves will lose elasticity in the material (get saggy) or the rubber grip can dry and crack. But there's no seams to fray...and that's the biggest problem with dive gloves. At the cost (less than $5 a pair) you can budget for multiple replacements and still save $$ over the cost of expensive dive gloves over the same time-span of use.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention a tusa dry mask with purge valve in the nose, it leaked :) thought it looked cool but soon prefered framelss masks in black or black.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom