What gear was under your tree?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The phrase above is a generic one I struggle with.

I own a lot of gear, but I am always ready to buy more. I also have a wonderful wife who would love to surprise me with a wonderful scuba gift or two. She is a non-diver, though. How can she do that? How can she possibly surprise me with a gift? She does not really know or understand what I currently own, and she would in no way be able to buy something I would really want, especially in terms of brands and models, without flat out asking me to do pretty much everything but wrap it up and put it under the tree. Somehow that just doesn't seem right.

Is anyone else in that situation, and, if so, how do you handle it?

An amazon wish list, or similar artifact at a dive related web site would preserve the element of surprise. My late wife and I had a strict, List based, gift system, after I made the mistake of buying her something "better" a couple of times.

I didn't get any gear this year, but did find a copy of Cousteau's The Silent World under the tree. :goingdown:

I own a lot of gear, but I am always ready to buy more. I also have a wonderful wife who would love to surprise me with a wonderful scuba gift or two. She is a non-diver, though. How can she do that? How can she possibly surprise me with a gift? She does not really know or understand what I currently own, and she would in no way be able to buy something I would really want, especially in terms of brands and models, without flat out asking me to do pretty much everything but wrap it up and put it under the tree. Somehow that just doesn't seem right.

I tend to keep a list of gear I might be wanting so I can keep an eye on sales and such. When someone asks for a gift idea, I add a few links and forward it on...

I am. My wife is willing to buy gear for me but she also says, "I have no idea what you need, and you're so friggen PICKY!!!". So on the one hand I tell her what I need but she can hardly remember the terms, let alone understand what it's for. So we've settled on the idea that I tell her to call my best friend (and dive buddy) and ask him to buy it and she pays for it.

Alternatively, I've asked her to buy "gift certificates" from certain shops (not all shops have what I need). I'm more than happy to have that too.

This year she wanted to buy gear too but didn't know where to begin so I actually bought the gifts myself and gave them to her and asked her to wrap them and put them under the tree. That doesn't sound very romantic but I'm happy to sacrifice the element of surprise to get exactly what I want.

R..

When I buy gear, my wife will often ask, "Would you like that for Christmas. (your birthday)", and then pay for it. It always comes as a nice surprise, since she doesn't do it every time.

Trying not to buy anymore gear....so I went small and got myself a few boltsnaps and a backup dive light. Oh, and a tech diving course. I am trying to put resources towards dives, trips and some courses and work with the gear that I have which is probably good for the upcoming year

Oh, I forgot about the wreck reel and dsmb that I picked up on Black Friday.

I did give my wife the offer that I would treat her to OW training but that present will go unused for a while :(

No gear because no one that buys me presents knows anything about dive gear..

But I got a cool book! :D

Deco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology by Mark Powell

I always show her what "she" just bought me. Well most of it.

My wife got me an awesome gift! Something I have always wanted to do but never had the time really to just go do it. But she bought me a ticket to go dive at the Georgia Aquarium in June! When your an instructor it's always fun to start over and get to dive for yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom