What happened to St. Andrews State Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I got an answer back from somebody there about the St. Andrews State Park and it actually makes sense. (Thanks Todd at Red Alert Diving!) Apparently, my memory is slightly faulty as to the direction that the rock enclosed pool faced. It wasn't South. It was East. It's what is known now as The Kiddie Pool or Tidal pool. Per Todd: "The beach moved around it and changed it quite a bit". Then sometime in history, the Army Corp of Engineers must have pulled up a bunch of the boulders and moved them into piles inside the swim area as artificial reefs. On the satellite view, you can still see the remnants of the old wall. Now I know!
This makes sense indeed. After your previous post I inspected google images and found no trace or possible remnants of any kind of any jetties facing south.

Well, I got an answer back from somebody there about the St. Andrews State Park and it actually makes sense. (Thanks Todd at Red Alert Diving!) Apparently, my memory is slightly faulty as to the direction that the rock enclosed pool faced. It wasn't South. It was East. It's what is known now as The Kiddie Pool or Tidal pool. Per Todd: "The beach moved around it and changed it quite a bit". Then sometime in history, the Army Corp of Engineers must have pulled up a bunch of the boulders and moved them into piles inside the swim area as artificial reefs. On the satellite view, you can still see the remnants of the old wall. Now I know!
The wall and reefs are underwater in Google Maps and above water in Apple Maps, so still tide dependent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom