What is a good dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like that style of knife if could be combined with centre hole for finger ( you can open fist without worrying to lose the knife ) & tip should not be pointed
117206.jpg

next thing which is important back of the holder must be metal if you want to give some signal uderwater or tap it on wreck....very usefull. I think best combination for me should be
'' fingerhole knife '' and ''old halcyon knife
10-knife01.jpg

But after all i have on my wing Bakers & Chefs Steak Knives - 12 pk. - Sam's Club :wink:

I just looked the link for the steak knives, and try to figure the size of the halcyon knife pictured above.

I also re-read the OP and I guess I'm really bad at spearfishing, actually if I have to be honest I'm even bad at eating steaks.

There's no way I can do anything to a legal size amberjack with any of those knives, for sure not with the steak knives.

Maybe is the fact that I don't even like to deal with chestnuts without a proper chestnut knife, but then again I also don't try to deal with a Phillips screw using a flat-head screwdriver.

Amberjacks are tricky, but thinking of a cobia and any of those supposedly "good enough" knives in the same sentence does not seems sensible.

Now for the "touch nothing" type of rec dives those are perfect, so are shears. But even to get a flounder I rather have something else, even a pencil may work better at a flounder that shears.

Be prepared to buy 2-3 cutting devices. I like to equip myself for the dive at hand. A pointed knife can be a liability and if I don't need it for the dive then I don't bother bringing one. I have a hard enough time holstering my blunt knife in surge as it is.

Cheap $7 autoclavable trauma shears are a good all around choice. Good compromise between durability and corrosion resistance (buying $2 shears every 10 dives adds up). Add a spray of WD-40 into the pivot and where the handles meet the metal everyonce in a while and you've got some pretty good rust resistant shears.

For tight wraps such as line around a piling, the serrated steak knife is equally good. The way I see it, the steak knife is my go to, the shears are for heavy duty work such as zip ties, metal leaders, and thick line that's not wrapped tightly around anything.

For spear fishing I would go with the Riffe stubby or the standard length. Piranha mfg has a generic brand that's $40 cheaper. You can make a homemade bungee loop that secures into the handle and can also be used to secure the knife to the holster; just slip the loop under the holster and you're good. Makes for an easy quick deploy by slipping your hand into the lanyard, unhooking, then deploying (now you have a knife in your hand w/ the lanyard around your wrist)
Of course you can always equip the steak knife for entanglement and a homemade shiv for finishing the job.

The OP asked about both spearfishing and wreck diving knives. I won't offer any suggestions about what works best for the former, but I will say that you probably need different tools for each.

On a wreck, shears and a line cutter are all you need...if you really want to use the spearo knife for your line cutter, just that and the shears. But anywhere you may be tangling with nets or wire leaders, a cutter alone is not sufficient IMO. I keep a pair of Trilobites and some (seemingly rust-proof) Zeagle shears on my harness for wreck penetrations.

I bought that exact knife on e-bay. If I remember correctly, the price was .01 (one cent) + $12.99 shipping and handling.

---------- Post Merged at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Sorry ..........this is the knife that I meant.

140651d1353026688-what-good-dive-knife-dive-knife.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Here's a link

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/9-SCUBA-DIVING-STAINLESS-STEEL-FIXED-BLADE-KNIFE-Survival-Hunting-Serrated-/390498723309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aeb89a5ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom