What Medicine/ointments Etc To Bring For Freediving In Remote Area In Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN. FYI. Regarding diarrhea caused by E. Coli

Treatments and drugs
By Mayo Clinic Staff

For illness caused by E. coli, no current treatments can cure the infection, relieve symptoms or prevent complications. For most people, treatment includes:

• Rest
  • Fluids to help prevent dehydration and fatigue
Avoid taking an anti-diarrheal medication — this slows your digestive system down, preventing your body from getting rid of the toxins. Antibiotics generally aren't recommended because they can increase the risk of serious complications.

If you have a serious E. coli infection that has caused hemolytic uremic syndrome, you'll be hospitalized and given supportive care, including IV fluids, blood transfusions and kidney dialysis.

--------------------

Also, from an article on E. Coli 0157:H7 infections in Medscape

"McGannon et al found that antibiotics that target DNA synthesis, such as ciprofloxacin (CIP) and TMP/SMZ, showed increased Shiga toxin production, whereas antibiotics that target the cell wall, transcription, or translation did not.[6] Remarkably, high levels of Shiga toxin were detected even when growth of O157:H7 was completely suppressed by CIP."
Awesome, we have dueling medical opinions:

Medscape: Medscape Access

Add Bactroban ointment or cream for skin infection (requires prescription thought).

Got a nasty case impetigo whole body staph infection last time I was in West Papua (also contracted Dengue Fever in New Guinea the other time before that!).

Awesome, we have dueling medical opinions:

Medscape: Medscape Access
Not really. The article you linked is the article I quoted the danger of increasing the Shiga toxin that can be produced by certain E. Coli and highlights the danger of taking antibiotics without professional input.

If you read the article, or at least the section that discusses medications, you will see they are talking about the entire spectrum of E Coli infections with only a very small section on E. Coli enteric infections and the very first sentence stresses the importance of fluid and electrolyte therapy.

I did not link the full article because it is a medical publication written for medical professionals. Yes, it mentions antibiotics that "are known to be useful" in travelers diarrhea. That does not mean that they are intended to be used in all cases of diarrhea. It means that in select cases the medical provider may make an informed decision to give antibiotics. But even then it may only shorten the duration by 24 to 36 hours. Granted, travelers diarrhea is one of the few instances where antiobiotics for diarrhea may be indicated.

And as to conflict between medical recommendations? Why do you think second opintions are recommended for serious issues. But one thing is clear and agreed on, antibiotics are over prescribed and over used and the result is the resistant bacteria we are now struggling to control.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, somehow I was not getting the reminders about the latest posts and missed the replies.
We go to Sulawesi.
I do not think that oxycodon is such a hot idea to bring to Indonesia, it's a banned substance there.

As far as the ear drying agent goes- what would be the best option or what do you use and recommend?
We are trying to travel with carry on only, so do not have a chance to bring too many liquids.

Which part of Sulawesi? If you are going to Bunaken or Lembeh you won't have any trouble getting medications if you need them. The dive places can either get things like antibiotics directly e.g for ear infections or can arrange to send you to a doctor. They are very good at this.
If you are going a bit further a field definitely travel with a few things. My main problem in Sulawesi was ear infections - almost had to continuously take antibiotics for a month when I was there last year.

we will go to Bunaken and Bangka

so what would be the best approach to avoid the ear infection?

I'm presuming you are flying into Manado. If you don't get any before you go get some cipro - it's a good antibiotic for ear infections as well as other things. You can just get it at the pharmacies there. Don't use the antibiotic for prevention - only use it if you have problems.

There are good things for prevention too. We have something called Vosol, but it's basically just a vinegar solution. I'm sure you'll be able to find something similar for swimmer's ear wherever you are. Use it before and after your dives as a preventative.

Last edited:
There are several versions but I use a 1:1 mix of white vinegar and alcohol. We mix it up at home in a small bottle with dropper then just put a few drops in each ear while in the shower after a day of diving.

Hello,
we are going on snorkeling vacation to less known area in Indonesia.
As this is a place where to get some pills, antibiotic ointments etc, may be either a difficult or not as good quality as we are used to, I would like to be a bit proactive and check what potential health issues can arise and are associated with freediving/ snorkeling.

So far I have on my list to bring:
sunscreen
antibiotic ointment for ear infection
antibiotic ointment for eye infection
???

Good water shoes/booties that work with your fins. extra fin strap and duct tape.

I managed to get badly sunburned on back of my legs, back of neck while snorkeling so seriously waterproof sunscreen/other sun protection for
the part of your body exposed. A scuba doo-rag even.

Cipro for intestinal/other infections.

Anti-malarials / Check on areas you're going. ?

Anti-itch for bug bites.

Pink eye has been rampant in some tropical places lately so you are right on with eye treatment.

Tea oil was great for bug bites and coral scrapes.

Ear infections would screw your trip so you are right on on that.maybe ear anti biotic or ear dryer solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom