What Size Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is the use of 50s, backmount or sidemount are a recreational riot. They are on my list of dive gear that I eventually want.

They are. We went so far as to build custom bands for LP 45's (which are essentially the same tank as 50's just ever so slightly shorter) and special 30 lbs doubles wings.
With a generous fill these provide a lot of gas, and my regular doubles regs hook right up.

My "singles rig" is a set of LP45's....

Tobin

Just curious, would you rather dive double 50s than a single HP100 or 117 or 120? If so, why?

Like I said, I'm just curious and it seems (to me, being totally inexperienced) like a single tank with the same amount of gas (but possibly with an H valve, if you're worried about having redundant 1st stages) would pretty much always be preferable to doubles.
Others have chimed in answers that echo mine. I dive the double 50s so my configuration never has to change. They are thinner than a single 120 or the like. The bands I'm using accept the standard width manifold, so the valves are easy to reach. I have my own compressor so fills aren't really an issue, but the redundancy and comfort of the small doubles is really nice and they are a lot of fun. The only singles I have now are aluminum bailout bottles for my rebreather.

Others have chimed in answers that echo mine. I dive the double 50s so my configuration never has to change.

What do you mean by that? You also dive bigger doubles and so your BP/W never has to change because you're not going back and forth between singles and doubles? You use the same BP/W for double 50s and your rebreather unit?

I have 2x AL63's on a solid bar single post for my DH. The short tanks let me wear them low like you need to with a DH. I'd love to get 50 dubs for it, but the "vintage " spacing won't work with any bands. I've still toyed with the idea of getting a "modern" set for diving where I usually use an HP100. The balance of them just looks sweet. Drawback it 2x VIS and hydro costs... If I ever get my tank inspection cert done, it likely will be a purchase.

Yes to your first statement. I change my wing, but my regulators and BP are the same for any of my OC doubles. My rebreather has a weighted plate on it, so it is a slightly different animal, but I do use the same wing on the 50s and my CCR.

What do you mean by that? You also dive bigger doubles and so your BP/W never has to change because you're not going back and forth between singles and doubles? You use the same BP/W for double 50s and your rebreather unit?

Drawback it 2x VIS and hydro costs... If I ever get my tank inspection cert done, it likely will be a purchase.

I have a Trimix fill station in my garage. I work at a place that does hydro and has tube trailer that holds 180,000cuft of helium. There are some advantages to having the title Specialty Gas Supervisor at a gas supply business. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom