What Species would prosper in a temperate Quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Did a quick Search & didn't find this topic on the forum. Maybe it's been done. Either way, could be worthwhile.

For many divers in the U.S., most local diving is quarry diving. Yes, muck divers settling for very minimal viz. may dive in a farm pond, and some people are willing to brave rivers or some areas of large lakes, but for many, local = quarry.

Quarry diving can be fun. Thing is, it can get boring, if looking at sunken cars, campers, commodes and such isn't your thing. This is particularly an issue at quarries where much of it is very deep. There's a conflict here; the deep limestone quarry with little vegetation or animal life will likely have fewer particulates and better viz. The shallower quarry with richer flora & fauna may have more crud to stir up. Either way, yes it's nice to see blue gill, bass and big catfish (if thieves haven't poached them). Maybe even a turtle, like a red-eared slider. And some minnows.

But diving Alexander Spring in Florida (really more of a snorkel site), I got to see bowfin, gar, a large female Florida softshell turtle, 3-striped mud turtles, a ~ 4 foot alligator and quite a range of fish species. Florida's climate, and Alexander Spring's constant water temp., aren't representative of most quarries, but bottom line, it's more fun for wild-life lovers than a quarry.

My Topic: What species could quarry owners introduce to temperate quarries, let's say in Kentucky & Tennessee for reference, perhaps adding some underwater structure in a shallower section if needed for habitat (say, for pike to hide in)?

What about big gar? Bowfin? I see people on the forum asking about diving with paddlefish. Pike if you had a grassy area? Some type of sturgeon? Pacu have made it awhile in some waters; perhaps if the quarry didn't get below a particular temp.? People dive with great barracuda despite some potential danger (small) - would you dive with a goliath tiger fish (tropical, though, I think)? Some sterile carp of some type, if they wouldn't stir up particulates too much? Some type of eels? Trout?

I'm asking on this forum section because I'd like suggestions that are reasonably apt to be viable long-term; not just tossing a big pike into a quarry to starve to death, or freak out due to over-exposure, etc... If the fish required some supplemental care, like periodic feeding, that would be okay. It wouldn't have to reproduce itself. Some species have greater invasive potential than others (which is why I left snake-heads off the list).

Hope to see some ideas.

Richard.

At the local quarry I dive (LochLowMinn) in Athens Tn., the TWRA tested the waters and it was perfect for stocking paddlefish. They had a special dive day to stock the little buggers a few years ago. Last year I dived and had the pleasure to swim along with a 5 footer. They are doing very well. We also have huge catfish, large and smallmouth bass, and brim to die for. It is on gated, private property where only diving is allowed. I really don't get bored diving this site as the fish are always a treat. Getting to swim along and have a school of paddlefish as big as myself come up and swim alongside is awesome. :)

Last edited:
It sounds like you want to try this yourself. I would advise against that.

Any species introduction should be well thought out and well researched (not a personal venture). Even when all angles have been considered, introductions don't often go well. Hawaii is the perfect example of what not to do. We have myriads of invasive species including a number of intentionally introduced species. For example, the mongoose was brought in to eat rats, but since the rats were nocturnal and the mongoose is diurnal, the rats are still here and the mongoose is the rat of the daylight hours. Years ago, the government introduced three species of marine fishes (argus grouper, two species of snapper) with the interest in providing gamefish for spearfishers and anglers. However, all three species are susceptible to ciguatera poisoning, so they aren't popular with anglers and they have now taken over many areas of the reef and neighboring islands eating the native fishes as they go.

Most of the fish you named would probably live depending on the temperature and food availability of your quarry, but there are some documented issues there, too. Pacu released from aquariums will become invasive. Pike, gar, and tigerfish are all top predators which will almost certainly eat anything in the quarry and have potential to completely change the fauna. There's a reason these fish are not naturally found in your area.

So, can you throw a freshwater fish into a body of freshwater and make it live? Yes. Should you? No.

At the local quarry I dive (LochLowMinn) in Athens Tn., the TWRA tested the waters and it was perfect for stocking paddlefish. They had a special dive day to stock the little buggers a few years ago. Last year I dived and had the pleasure to swim along with a 5 footer. They are doing very well. We also have huge catfish, large and smallmouth bass, and brim to die for. It is on gated, private property where only diving is allowed. I really don't get bored diving this site as the fish are always a treat. Getting to swim along and have a school of paddlefish as big as myself come up and swim alongside is awesome. :)
I dive Loch Low-Minn often, as well, and had the pleasure of having a couple of the big guys swim up alongside. I seemed to find them between 30' and 35'...

And, you're right, an absolutely enthralling experience watching them bask just a couple feet away (took this about 3 or 4 years ago... I've only caught them once again since then):

2707914871_23971d3022_b.jpg

I dive Loch Low-Minn often, as well, and had the pleasure of having a couple of the big guys swim up alongside. I seemed to find them between 30' and 35'...

And, you're right, an absolutely enthralling experience watching them bask just a couple feet away (took this about 3 or 4 years ago... I've only caught them once again since then):

2707914871_23971d3022_b.jpg
Hey BKP, next time you're planning on heading up, PM me and maybe I can head up there to meet for a dive. When I saw the big one last year, it was over near the west wall. They just appear out of nowhere and I see them all over the quarry. They don't seem to prefer any one spot. I'd say I saw at least one every other dive this past year. Oh, nice shot you got! :)

Jimi, sure thing.

We're planning on heading up there late May / early June, next. I'll be sure to let you know. We often see Kraken up there as well. Just waiting for the surface temps to come up a bit.

It sounds like you want to try this yourself.

No. I don't own a quarry, nor do I have any ownership in a quarry owning entity, and I'm not inclined to 'seed' someone else's quarry with exotic species!

That said, considering all the trouble & expense that must go into adding some of the structural attractions (e.g.: a sunken school bus) to some quarries, the owners are likely interested in making the diving as interesting as they can.

One of the nice advantages of some quarries is that they have no direct attachment to other large water bodies. Depending on how a given species reproduces, it may be much more practical to confine it to such an area, as compared to a terrestrial animal with overland mobility.

Richard.

Jimi, sure thing.

We're planning on heading up there late May / early June, next. I'll be sure to let you know. We often see Kraken up there as well. Just waiting for the surface temps to come up a bit.
Sounds Good! That's where I first met Kraken and YAF.

If anything is stocked in a quarry, it should be a fish or invertebrate native to the local area. Stocking with an "exotic" (even if found in other parts of the USA) can pose problems even if in an "isolated" quarry. Amazing how critters can disperse using different life stages (eggs, larvae). Divers may effect that dispersal when they travel to another location after diving the quarry.

If anything is stocked in a quarry, it should be a fish or invertebrate native to the local area. Stocking with an "exotic" (even if found in other parts of the USA) can pose problems even if in an "isolated" quarry. Amazing how critters can disperse using different life stages (eggs, larvae). Divers may effect that dispersal when they travel to another location after diving the quarry.
Absolutely... we've seen enough of that with zebra mussels and snakeheads...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom