What to wear in Cairns in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RadarKing

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm doing a 7 day live aboard departing from Cairns in early January. The company recommends a full 3-5 mm suit for jellyfish protection. Can I get by with using a 2.5 mm shorty? I was thinking about adding a rash guard for some protection against the nasty critters. I'm traveling from the US and I want to keep my bag as small as possible, and I also like the ease of getting in and out of a shorty.
Thanks for any replies.

Full length exposure protection is recommended, even if it's just 1mm lycra. It's nothing to do with the water temperature, but to do with the fact that there are nasty stingers out there at that time of year. Some of these stingers have been known to be fatal, some people don't take it seriously. Of course there are those who run the gauntlet and wear shorties (or board shorts and a t-shirt), because the water is very warm, but there is still a very real risk from the stingers. Nobody will force you to wear a full length suit, but bear in mind that if you get stung by a box jelly or irukandji, the nearest hospital is all the way back in Cairns.

Your call.

Most of the places you will be going on a day trip (I am assuming its a Ribbon Reef / Coral Sea trip) will be far away from the coast which is where the stingers are usually found. Its rare, but not impossible, to get them out to the Outer Reefs and I have know a few incidents, so as WetPup says body suit is a good idea. Ashy definitely a good idea :)

Stingers are common found along the coast line and this is where most of the incidents occur.

Temperature wise though its very warm. Here is link to Cairns conditions water and land.

I just wear long leg Skins (the same type you'd wear to the gym) and a rash guard in summer.

Take a wide brim hat, sun glasses and some sun cream- you will need it.

You should wear full protection against marine stings. You WILL encounter lots of Siphonophores and many other stingers which breed now. If you dive in a shorty, you will get stung/ coral scratches! You will also become an expert in the pain and itching of stingers. Wear a full 3 mm suit! By the way, Box jellies live on the coast and breed in river estuaries around Dec to April. The reef is usually 30 to 70 miles away.

A raincoat. :D
Seriously, a Lycra stinger suit (rather than a shorty) is a good idea for all the reasons listed. If nothing else it will save you from sunburn. I'm an avowed shorty diver :dork2:, but I wear a full Lycra suit up north. I wouldn't take a 5mm of any sort, because you'll boil. Maybe a 3mm shorty over the Lyra suit, but only as a backup if you're prone to feeling the cold and/or doing some night dives. You can buy a stinger suit in Cairns if you don't have one.

Best advice is normally from the locals. They have given you great advice.

When we head north we use lycra or skins. I react badly to stings to I cover everything I can. That means gloves and lycra hood as well. Nothing worse that having the fun ruined by a nasty swollen itchy rash. There are some real nasties up there but it doesn't take much to protect from them.

Hi,
Just saw this. I've arrived this week to Sydney and will go up north next week. I have a shorty so I have started searching for a place to buy a (cheap if possible) lycra suit in Sydney but I'm a bit lost. Any recommendations? I would prefer not to buy over the Internet due to the size
Thanks

Enviado desde mi Aquaris A4.5 mediante Tapatalk

Hmm...Try Adreno in Sydney @ 678 Botany Road, Alexandria. They've usually got a big range of stuff in stock.

If not, just wait till you get to Cairns. They're sold almost everywhere up north.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom