What to wear under wetsuit?

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by ScubaKev, Jun 28, 2001.

1. ScubaKev

ScubaKev Garibaldi

Hi Everyone.

I'm just starting my certification classes and hope this doesn't sound to dumb. I've read alot of the posts here that say wetsuits should fit very tight to your body for best heat retention. How does one deal with swim trunks bunching up under the wetsuit?? Do most folks just wear nothing or is this a dive etiquet no no?? Thanks in advance for helping a Rookie get the hang of things.

2. TwoBitTxn

TwoBitTxn Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Welcome to scuba diving and the board kev....

I've been diving a awhile and the most comfortable thing I have found to wear under my wet suit is biker shorts. They fit kinda tight, they don't bunch up, and they are comfortable. Bare under your Bare???? I dunno.. I guess you could, not me though. Mines a front zip. Hair in the zipper.... eyouch :eek:

3. rcohn

rcohn Manta Ray

I wear a bathing suit, but a few of the freedivers I know wear nothing. I've never seen or heard of a scuba diver who doesn't weat shorts or a suit.

Ralph

4. Iguana Don

Iguana Don Guest

Go commando, not on your life, I wear a Speedo. And no I don't wear it alone in pubic......er public.

ID

5. TexasMike

TexasMike Loggerhead Turtle

Found some black lycra work out shorts similar to bike shorts but without the crotch padding on sale at Oshmans. These seem to work okay and don't bunch up.

6. turnerjd

turnerjd Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    under my 3mm poolsuit I go commando.

I tried all sorts of shorts etc.. and found it to be too uncomfortable.

Jon T

7. greg somers

greg somers Manta Ray

They're like speedos but more attractive.NO...they are not 'Y' fronts.No self respecting diver my way would wear 'speedos'. I couldn't imagine going 'buck'.Oooo... the chaffing.Besides,I need support for my heavy load..heheheh.
    By the way...all you speedo wearers....where do you hide your big gold medallions with your star signs?
    Hahahahahahaha!
    There can be only one.
    The Gasman.

8. Gaucho

Gaucho Nassau Grouper

The best combination IMO are the Speedo's that have a boxer short cut. They are made of a lycra like material so they fit snug and dont interfere with the wet suit.

9. Greg G.

Greg G. Barracuda

10. Starfish

Starfish Barracuda

My husband wears the medium Speedo, not the tiny ones, and a Lycra Suit.

11. kwesler

kwesler Barracuda

# of Dives:
    I bought a couple a suits from International Male web site. Lots of choices on size and degree of tightness

12. jimbo

jimbo Angel Fish

I go with the boxer cut racing (TYR) swimsuit from my swim bag. It's lycra and nylon so it's pretty easy to get the wet suit off.

13. large_diver

large_diver Loggerhead Turtle

I wear a fairly baggy pair of swim trunks -- Can't say that I've ever noticed them bothering me. I wear a farmer john/jacket -- once I get my legs into the "john" (and before pulling it up over my shoulders), I try and push the legs of the shorts as far down as I can.

If you are comfortable once you get the wet suit on, you'll be fine. The tightness of the suit will keep the suit from moving around much.

14. randyjoy

randyjoy Scuba Instructor

Lycra workout shorts - they also dry very fast; sometimes .5 mil skin over them (I burn too easy, I need SPF 5000).

15. jobowker

jobowker Nassau Grouper

I've seen a few people go commando, but I don't recommend it, even without lunging. I wear a regular swimsuit that bunches up, so I have to pull the legs down after pulling up the legs of my wetsuit, or lycra biker shorts. You'll see a few people wearing shorts under wetsuits that they normally wouldn't wear.

16. sky50960

sky50960 Nassau Grouper

I girl friend of mine wears a STRING.
    Wel yes it is true she schowed to mee...
    Boys or giels try it.

17. Ari

Ari Moderator

I am wearing a Speedo and have no real problems with getting in or out of the suit or anything becoming too loose.

Ari

18. luvdiving

luvdiving Barracuda

I usually wear a pair of nylon runners shorts under my 3mm wetsuit. But in a pinch, I have gone with nothing (under my wetsuit) if I have taken the shorts home to wash and forgotten them.:boom:

19. Warhammer

Warhammer Manta Ray

LOL!! How did I miss this one? Don in Speedos, LOL! I bet you get some real strange looks when you peel the Leopard print off only to reveal the Tiger print speedos, LOL! :eek:

I wear swim shorts myself.

20. daisho

daisho Angel Fish

Well at this point I dive dry but a few people I know go commando. Then then proceed to do a funny dance with a towel around them after the dive. I don't know the exact dance step since I really wasn't interested in watching ;)