WHAT!! you didn't buy from me!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
with one local shop.

Basically, for me, "the talk" is something like this, and has come after a particularly stupid act on their part;

"Keep giving me a hard time and all you do is cost yourself more sales. You've made a lot of money off me. I can be pushed far enough to buy my own compressor, and might anyway even if its not a matter of spite, but if you DO get me upset you can bet I'll be buying it sooner rather than later, and WILL go out of my way not to spend money here.

Your choice. Either you can have a customer for some things, or you can have a customer for nothing. I won't bother even asking about pricing on things that you tell me are price-controlled, because I know you can't compete. That is a choice you made, and its one you have to live with - at least with this customer.

Until and unless you can compete, there's no reason to argue with you about those items. I will buy them online or from private parties. If your policies change, please do let me know, so that I can give you a fair shot at the business. If I ask you for a price on something, make it your best shot, because I don't believe in haggling - I will already know what I'm willing to pay, and what I can get it for elsewhere - including online.

You get one shot per purchase. If you have to order it, or if you can't compete on the total package, then you're no different than the Leisurepros and the DiveInns from my perspective. You offer no convenience advantage and you definitely don't offer me a price savings. Since that's all you have to sell when the product is the same, you've got a problem in those situations.

I'm not in your store to make sure you exist tomorrow, because I don't need you. In fact, you need me and others like me - and I'm fully aware of it. I shop here becuase I like to. The day I stop enjoying it is the day you'll see the back of my head for the last time. It really is that simple; we can either be friendly and there's something in it for you as well as me, or not - I won't suffer in either event."

So far, its been ok. Some shops don't like that point of view, and that's ok. They need my money - I don't need them for anything. Anything they want to sell me I can buy elsewhere, or put together what I need to procure it for myself. I dive often enough that even the "big stuff" - like a compressor - isn't beyond the economic analysis working out ok for me over a couple of years.

I'm exactly the kind of customer that these shops should take great care in not running off. A guy who comes in pretty regularly during the "low season", and who's name is a significant percentage of the total signatures in the Nitrox fill log book for the last two months, isn't a guy you want to decide that he doesn't like you all that much.

But heh - its their choice.

And mine.

Genesis,
You seriously need to get some more fiber into your diet. That and a daily glass of prune juice and I promise you'll feel better...

P.S. - for those of us w/ a complete lack of sense of humor (you know who you are), the above is NOT meant to be construed as real medical advice.

No abuse, crank boy. Note that I said that the case would depend upon an inaccurate statement. I'm sure that, given your limited intellect, I'd be able to find one.

Put your money where your mouth is. PM the case name and docket number, along with the court. Alternatively, you need only tell me whether it was brought in the state court that has jurisdiction over Niceville, Florida and I'll take it from there.

Do your own research NE. I owe you nothing, and from me you will receive exactly that.

This board needs a kill file. Since they don't have one, I'll simply refuse to respond to you. And unlike others here who have made such threats, I'll actually keep my word.

:rofL:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou
ThankyouThankyou!!!!!!!

Wazza matter, Wittle bitty baby gonna run home and cry? I'll take that as confirmation that you were blowing smoke up peoples' :moon:

Another nice thing about the shop. When we were looking aroung to get certified. Another shop was charging the same price but gave everyone $25 off coupons. I mailed the shop told them about the coupon offered by their compotion and could we use it their. They said NO!
Well the shop offering the discount was about 20 min further so we went with the closer. Not my decision, some worked nights and couldn't drive. But come on! after their mark up on EVERYTHING they couldn't afford to discout 6 people 25 dollars each.

Vote with your wallet.

I do.

It seems to be the only form of voting that most merchants understand..... (not that it should be any other way!)

.......if your local LDS gives you a hard time, play 'devil's advocate' with them and trip them up with their own logic:

1) Given that the average American will move 11 times in their lifetime,......and 20% of American families move annually, they are in effect saying any gear you buy from them should be depreciated @ a 20%/year rate---and in 5 years will be worthless---as on average you will be patronizing a 'new' LDS every 5 years....and you can expect your 'new' LDS to poor-mouth the gear you bought from your 'present' LDS and give you a hard time over servicing it, just as they are giving you a hard time right now!

2) during the LDS 'sales-pitch' they remind you of what a good investment you're making in buying their 'quality' scuba gear...... they'll emphasize things like 'resale-value'........so don't be too concerned with retail-pricing, as you'll get most of it back if you have/want to sell it..........remind the LDS that it's a contradiction to give you a hard time bringing in a brand "X" item for service (bought elsewhere) and at the same time tell you how great a new item from brand "X" is.

Ask them how can there be any resale value with brand "X" if dealers in brand "X" are known for giving owners of 'used' brand "X" items a hard time...this inherently destroys the very concept of resale-value they bring up in the 1st place!

This works best if you stick to shopping at brand "X" dealers...that way they can't muddy the waters by bringing up brand "Y".......compare apples-to-apples.

All of this attitude on both sides goes to demonstrate how out of touch with the marketplace the dive industry has become/is.

I go into Giant Grocery Store and shop their sales and then go to SafewaY to shop their sales and next time I'm in Giant nobody says, "Hey why did you buy those Diet Cokes at Safeway and not here?"

When I go to a Shell gas station instead of Exon the guy at Exon next time doesn't give me crap about buying gas at Shell because it was $0.03 a gallon cheaper.

When I buy a car over the internet or go out of state because I can find a better price in WV instead of MD the local dealer doesn't refuse to service the car because I didin't buy it from them (granted their may be some warrenty restrictions if you live less than 50 miles from the dealer you purchased the vehicle from). And if I buy a one year old car they don't say, sorry, the warrenty was only good for the original owner.

In 50 years I think the dive industry has gone backwards in their understanding of how to make it in the market place.

Since I have my own compressor/mix station and service my own equipment, I owe no one nothing. I give my business to shops (local or internet) that provide the goods and service I need. Sometimes that means price, sometimes that means speedy availability, but always it will mean pleasant attitude.

Dave D

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Four cranks are simply not worth the business. I'd rather concentrate on valued customers than cater to a crackpot with a persecution complex.

Do you know who is capable of being a VALUED customer?

Or do I first need to prove my VALUE to you before you treat me like you VALUE my business?

Do you know the VALUE of a customer?

How much will a customer spend when:
They get into the sport?
As they update and progress throught the sport?
Per year?
Per lifetime?
Per (X)
Multiplied by other customers they bring in - or keep away.

Maybe Genesis can say some of these things a different way. (sugar coated?) But I'll take honesty and straight talk any day. Valuable qualities for doing business.

Back
Top Bottom