What's in a (user) Name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to work weekends at a dive shop. One day a customer asked about a newly arrived dive computer. I open the manual and there in bold letters was MAX BOTTOMTIME. I thought it made for a nice user name.

after my favourite and local wreck 'Mikail Lermontov' russian cruise liner sank in port gore New Zealand 30 year ago during the cold war era -lots of speculation and mystery including mystery russian divers appearing after the sinking - clearing out the maps and radio from the bridge. If you come to New Zealand you must dive this wreck. theres still lots of 'treasure' to discover

"Lorenzo," which is an hispanicized version of my English name, was already taken. So I added the suffix meaning "-like."

As for an avatar, I dunno, maybe I'll come up with one someday. I don't really get the purpose.

Having been a member for a little while now I have seen a fair few of the regular posters usernames. Some are self explanatory, some are humorous, some intriguing while some downright mysterious.

So what's in a username?

My username "Ting Tong (ติ๊งต๊อง)" is the english phonetically spoken word "crazy, mad, wacky (something along those lines)" in Thai. I lived in Thailand for seven years, and it's a word I heard on a daily basis, although thankfully not necessarily about me.

BTW my avatar is of my dog Ting Tong, an English bulldog at 4 months old.

So what is in your Username or Avatar?

Dave

Like UNCFNP mine is a reference to my alma mater. I went to NC State (hmm, just 20 miles from UNC) whose mascot is the red wolf. Since I'm living in SC I'm the red wolf from South Carolina = SCRedWolf. Nothing fancy or creative.

My avatar is a picture of me taken during a wall dive at Isla Catalina in the Dominican Republic. If my behavior remains consistent I'll change avatars every once in a while just for something different.

Like UNCFNP mine is a reference to my alma mater. I went to NC State (hmm, just 20 miles from UNC) whose mascot is the red wolf. Since I'm living in SC I'm the red wolf from South Carolina = SCRedWolf. Nothing fancy or creative.

My avatar is a picture of me taken during a wall dive at Isla Catalina in the Dominican Republic. If my behavior remains consistent I'll change avatars every once in a while just for something different.
In my other life I was a huge State fan and still have the t-shirt from the 1983 NCAA basketball championship.

when I registered initially, I think I used my name but when I saw it, I thought it was boring so I tried Socaljohn as it was more informative though I was sure someone would have already snagged it
my avatar I'd named Johnboy. I created it on the Simpsons movie website (now closed) and it looks a lot like me.

My name actually has zero reference with scuba/the ocean.

Part homage to an old tv show, part political statement....plus it's playful

One of these days I'll get an avatar.

Sphyrnidae is the family of the hammerheads, so as `i'm only one I made it sphyrnidus.
So what's whit the hammerheads?
My Father in Law was my instructor back in 1968. When I was certified, we went diving and spearfishing together on Curacao where we lived at that time. At Playa Kalki he speared a rather big fish, which he couldn't reel in and the fish got away. Of course the fish was bleeding and that attracted two rather big hammerheads, they started circling us and one stayed with us, we ended up back to back with this hammerhead quite close and we were scared shitless.
After some time he left and we aborted the dive. Ever since my nick in the family was hammerhead....

Back
Top Bottom