What's in a (user) Name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a local diver in the Northeast US, my log-in name is pretty obvious.

But there is more to it than that. I came from an obscure little town that had "green" in its name along with a position reference that speaks to trim. That used to be an inside joke to myself. Trim has always been a problem since my PSD training. As a PSD instructor once told us, "Fins are only needed on your way to and from work."

My avatar's direction was purposely chosen to be moving away. I'm quite sociable one-on-one and in small groups, but tend to flip the "aloof" switch on anything larger. I have a few good dive buddies that I totally enjoy seeing on rare occasion, but I truly am a solo diver both by habit and preference.

It's fun to hear the background stories behind names.

Front pointing is an ice climbing technique, and I love ice climbing. I also love shooting guns and riding motorcycles, so front pointer seemed appropriate for all three.

The pic is me at a race where our team had to dress up like lumberjacks. My three brothers all have real manly beards, me, not so much. I donned a fake beard for the race.

Wow, after seeing all the creative user names, I realize that mine is really boring...just my name. My avatar on the other hand is more interesting. It's a picture of the "smokey jungle frog." In my non-scuba life I study frogs in Central America and this is one of the more charismatic species. These guys grow to the size of the American Bullfrog, but males have massive front legs that they use to body slam other male frogs in combat. They also have these sharp little spikes on their chest that can inflict damage on their opponent. If you can manage to actually catch them, they'll slam your hand with surprising power and also scratch your hind with the spikes. Although the scratch they inflict is very minor, the skin toxins that get ground in will make it burn for a while. A memorable frog indeed!

The first board i participated in was a local scuba board in NC and over time I actually got to meet and dive with a number of the members and there were social gatherings too. I remember lots of what people tell me, but I have trouble with names. So folks having two names, a real one and a board name, made my life even harder. figured I would just use the one name to help others like myself. Unfortunately that board died. The avatar is me. If I am outdoors I have that hat on. I have already bought my dermatologist two cars and she does not need a third one.
I instabuddy some and the hat has led to more than one nice conversation with other divers who recognized it.

I teach math at NC State. I have a simple rule. If you are paying for my house, I cheer for you. Go pack.

Mine is my lifelong nickname combined with my last name. My avatar is my clan badge. It is a raised fist holding a sword. It is very likely a form of short sword called a “winger” which was used in the Borders by the lightly armed cavalry known as “mosstroopers”. The words, “Fortiter Et Recte” (Fortiter et Recte = With Strength and Right) are stamped into the leather belt, surrounding the fist. The chief wears a crested badge surmounted by three feathers. It was the practice, however, for chiefs to allow their followers to wear the crest and motto in a silver strap-and-buckle badge. This is the clansmen’s badge and if you are a member of the clan you may wear it. If the clan lacks a chief, no badge is worn.

I was 49 when I joined SB so it was easy to remember. And I was playing the song "Funk 49" (Joe Walsh) at the time....and it had a nice ring to it.

My mom took me to see the Beatles at the hollywood bowl when I was about 5. We didn't have tickets but she wanted to see the scene, and for me to be able to say I went to a Beatles concert (sort of). I'm Lizzi, so as expected I've always danced to this song since I was wee. My avatar...coming soon...so I say.

Great thread, Love hearing these stories behind the names.

I was listening to one of my The Beatles albums last Saturday while mowing my lawn & heard the song. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom