What's In/on Your Bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might be overtly paranoid, but if my buddy is breathing off one of my regs, I prefer to keep a grip on them.

It's still fresh in my mind since it has only been a year but when I got certified last year, they had me take my buddy's forearm with one hand and they take the same forearm that I extended out in return. Kind of like a handshake, but an armshake. :) Then you swim up together.

At the end of the day, whatever gets you and your buddy up safely and works in an OOA situation. I'd want eye contact with my buddy so that I can at least read them -- do I see them panicking even more and do I need to reassure them, etc.

I might be overtly paranoid, but if my buddy is breathing off one of my regs, I prefer to keep a grip on them.
Why? It's not like he will run away with your regulator. In the worst case he loses it and he's dead.

The same configuration year round - I thus don't use my Dry suit pockets.

On my wing -
Right Shoulder strap - Strobe and small knife small line cutter and whistle
Left Shoulder Strap - Metal pointer , hook on for camera, and line cutter Spare double ender
Dive Alert on inflator hose.
Spg clipped off on LH hip (back up to my AI)

Pocket on LH side of waist belt has 6' Orange DSMB and large finger spool with 45m line - spare finger spool and spare Orange DSMB
Pocket on RH side of waist belt has 2 x torches, reef hook (clipped on to outside of pocket) EMT shears spare finger spool

Rear butt pocket V Large DSMB
On back plate Lift bag, spare yellow DSMB

30 or 40cf "pony" slung on RH side

I dive a BP/wing with continuous nylon webbing for the harness. My rig is essentially DIR with left and right chest, left hip, front and rear crotch strap D-rings. I added a D-ring to the right hip. My SPG is clipped on to my left hip D-ring. I have 2 identical lights that get clipped on the left and right chest D-rings and secured to the chest straps under my shoulders when I'm not using them. A titanium knife in a covered sheaf on my waist strap to the left of my waist buckle (BTW, all buckles are SS). In the place of a light canister on my right waist strap I have a small top opening Velcro pouch which also serves to wrap my 7 ft. long hose under. My backup reg is on a bungie around my neck. If I dive open water I tie a whistle to my wing corrugated hose and clip a SMB to my rear crotch strap D-ring and carry a signal mirror and small slate in the pouch. When diving cavern I lose the whistle, mirror, and SMB and may or may not carry a slate. A reel would get clipped to the rear crotch strap D-ring. I wear a computer on my left forearm and compass on my right but since getting the Perdix, which has an integrated compass, I don't wear the compass anymore. If I need to carry a bottom timer (my old computer) it would go on my right forearm.

Last edited:
Nope. More like a plastic ducky. You know, the kind that floats in the water that you see at the carnivals with a big wide smile. In my case I take it underwater. Divers beware. :wink:

Last edited:
spg clipped off on the left. sausage, mirror and whistle clipped off on the right.

right pocket has backup computer. and extra backup computer. also serves as the default storage place for my main wrist computer in between dives.

right pocket has spare light and magnifying glass. and a spare camera - A small canon p&s just in case, it rides in my pocket all week.

my snorkel is securly stowed in my save a dive kit. on the boat.

p.s. i also have a tiny knife mounted on my right shoulder strap. original condition, unused.

I'll play along, but as a newer open water diver my rig has changed a number of times (including this week) and may change again by the time I'm done writing this. I'm also probably one of a few people who went from a long hose to a 40" hose under my arm. Just works better for the activities I do while diving.

DiveRite HunterPac BCD.
Dive Alert and AIR2 on Inflator hose.
Storm Whistle on corrugated hose.
Titanium Knife on chest strap.
Flashlight clipped on right shoulder D ring, head bungeeed to strap.
SPG on left shoulder D ring (back up to Wireless AI).
PLB on back left side waist strap.
Stringer or Camera Rig on left waist D ring.
Spare double ender on crotch D ring.
6' DSMB and reel on right waist D ring.
DiveRite bellows pocket on back right side waist strap.
In the pocket. 8' DSMB, EMT Sheers (Lionfish Spines) and Treasure/Lobster mesh bag.

Last edited:
Rubber Chicken

One of the Explorer Venture boats has a rubber chicken hanging near the entry gate, which gets clipped onto the BCs of unwitting divers from time to time just before they step off into the water.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom