What's special about diving in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m surprised you didn’t see any humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa (reef triggerfish). They’re fairly common around the shallow waters of Maui. Between mala and the Carthaginian I would have guessed you’d see a dozen of them.

I haven’t dove the South Pacific beside bora bora and Tahiti. I enjoy Maui more so, but that’s just me. Perhaps it’s the ease of finding really good shore diving spots.

I’m surprised you didn’t see any humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa (reef triggerfish). They’re fairly common around the shallow waters of Maui. Between mala and the Carthaginian I would have guessed you’d see a dozen of them.

I haven’t dove the South Pacific beside bora bora and Tahiti. I enjoy Maui more so, but that’s just me. Perhaps it’s the ease of finding really good shore diving spots.
I don't recall seeing any, and I've just been through my photos again, and can't see any. My list is missing Black Triggerfish and Long-nosed Butterflyfish though.

I don't recall seeing any, and I've just been through my photos again, and can't see any. My list is missing Black Triggerfish and Long-nosed Butterflyfish though.

Bummer. They’re kinda cool to find.

You are right about the food on the dive boats. When I started diving with Lahaina divers say 8 years ago surface interval had large sandwhiches, fruit, chips and canned drinks. Cookies were provided for the boat ride home. Last time I used them two years ago there was a small snack, but nothing substantial, and water.

I didn’t try again this year because my daughter is with me and paying for two of us is prohibitive right now.

Add Stocky Hawkfish, Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse+, Moorish Idol, Spotted Porcupinefish and Galapagos Shark to the list.

We also like diving with Maui Dreams out of Ma'alaea Harbor. They have a beautiful Newton 46 that's an absolute pleasure to dive from
+1

Cathedrals (Lanai) is an experience too

And we had a really good experience with Island Divers @ Hawaii Kai (Oahu)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom