What's The Big Deal With Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMANDIVER

Contributor
Reaction score
Genuine enquiry aimed at folks who have been in the same situation as me...what is the big deal with changing to sidemount diving from backmount doubles? what makes it worth the time, effort and money to learn and equip this skill? I am a cave and trimix diver. For the vast majority of cave dives that I would consider, backmount is fine. I can see that it might be easier to avoid stirring silt with sidemount - (pretty important) but then my chest is clear and this can be useful laying line etc. I have dived with sidemount buddies and apart from the longer time to gear up, there often seems to be a problem, usually some bit of bungee is too long or something and this causes trouble. So with all that commitment to diving a new system, what makes it worthwhile? Personally, I am more interested in the dive I'm doing than the gear I wear. I would rather spend my money on getting to a good dive site than on more training, bcd, 1st stages, hoses etc...there seem to be whole facebook pages dedicated to making and buying new harness rings! So somehow it really must be worth it, just interested to know what that is (apart from physical ailment side which I get). Many thanks

Really the only additional cost would be the BCD, as you already have to have all the other equipment to do backmount.

OMG! It's like Nitrox!! And Trimix!!! Voodoo!!! It'll kill ya!!!

My not-experienced $.02:

People go into sidemount for one of two reasons:

(1) They have reasons to not carry backmount doubles, and carrying one tank at a time is more acceptable.
(2) They dive where they often slip through narrow bedplanes or fissures, and backmount won't go there.

Yes, bungees get weak and elongate.

Some people like having two completely redundant tanks. However, you must always be aware of what is in your mouth and where is the long hose. The switching of tanks seems to come naturally.

As for all the equipment availability - people just tend to like to tweak.

Genuine enquiry aimed at folks who have been in the same situation as me...what is the big deal with changing to sidemount diving from backmount doubles? what makes it worth the time, effort and money to learn and equip this skill? I am a cave and trimix diver. For the vast majority of cave dives that I would consider, backmount is fine. I can see that it might be easier to avoid stirring silt with sidemount - (pretty important) but then my chest is clear and this can be useful laying line etc. I have dived with sidemount buddies and apart from the longer time to gear up, there often seems to be a problem, usually some bit of bungee is too long or something and this causes trouble. So with all that commitment to diving a new system, what makes it worthwhile? Personally, I am more interested in the dive I'm doing than the gear I wear. I would rather spend my money on getting to a good dive site than on more training, bcd, 1st stages, hoses etc...there seem to be whole facebook pages dedicated to making and buying new harness rings! So somehow it really must be worth it, just interested to know what that is (apart from physical ailment side which I get). Many thanks

Personally I love sidemount now, and now it is pretty much the only way I dive OC. In caves, it lets me get to the tight, twisty, gnarly crap that I love, as well as opens up new area I couldn't get to without SM. I have no clutter on my chest, and I gear up as fast as my BM buddies. Furthermore as I get advanced in age, its just nice to bring both tanks separately to the water & gear up :).

If you are just doing goldline, then BM is fine but if you are the type of person that wants to check out every nook & cranny then SM is the way to go.

I have no worries about lines in sidemount passages that are on the ceiling in no vis situations getting caught up in my gear is another thing i don't have to worry about.

What else is there? sure there will be some added cost including the SM rig, but if you switch completely you can sell off the BM leftovers...

Convert your BM regs into SM regs (some hose changes), helmet is optional but nice to have lights there where it is easy to access. Tanks? really depends on what tanks you have....if your doubles are LP85's/HP100's or LP 98's/HP188's those easily convert to SM.

I think this vid shows quite clearly what's 'the big deal' about sidemount:
Yes, the bungees are to long, the boltsnaps are still mispositioned (third tryout dive with those 12 lbs negative tanks).
In a perfectly setup backmount doubles rig, I would be awed by anyone emulating the movements and not hitting the ground hard.
In sidemount what's shown is just below average :wink: anyone would be expected to be able to do this and probably do better.

What else is there? sure there will be some added cost including the SM rig, but if you switch completely you can sell off the BM leftovers...

Convert your BM regs into SM regs (some hose changes), helmet is optional but nice to have lights there where it is easy to access. Tanks? really depends on what tanks you have....if your doubles are LP85's/HP100's or LP 98's/HP188's those easily convert to SM.

We all know it NEVER ends :) seriously, new first stages, new can light, hoses, stage kits, training etc ...why would I sell my BM stuff? Not hearing the benefits...

I think this vid shows quite clearly what's 'the big deal' about sidemount:
Yes, the bungees are to long, the boltsnaps are still mispositioned (third tryout dive with those 12 lbs negative tanks).
In a perfectly setup backmount doubles rig, I would be awed by anyone emulating the movements and not hitting the ground hard.
In sidemount what's shown is just below average :wink: anyone would be expected to be able to do this and probably do better.

That guy doesn't look like a cave or technical diver to me. More interested in what he looks like on social media! And I wouldn't try that stuff in a cave anyway. Can't see anything there that cant be done in BM.

Benefits were listed.

So then it's not for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom