What's the coldest water temp you will wetsuit in??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hit the wall at 74 degrees and switch to a dry suit when scuba diving.

I am not normal though...! I am "King of the cold weenies".

All the best, James

Hey Hey...you must then know Jax...the Queen of the Wussies...:cold:
:cold::cold:

what ajtoady said... did if for years. the benefit of a DS is the SI bliss when the weather is so-so, or the second and even.... gulp... the third dive..... routinely did the 2 dive days wet below a 39 degree thermocline. Feet suffered the most, hands were next. The rest was good, but a DS is just heaven!

full length 7mm wetsuit with an additional 7mm sleeveless shorty with hood, boots and mitts in 39F water.

I like the idea of the additional shorty with hood. That would give double thermal help in your core. I wore a separate hood when I did the OW cert dives and cold water entered behind my neck which didn't feel too good. The shorty with a hood should eliminate that issue.

I have done several dives in the mid 40's while wearing a farmer John style 7mm wetsuit. Occasionally got a little chilled but was otherwise fine. I decided to go dry for the days when it is unlikely I will warm up during my surface interval (air temp. 40-50ish, rain, snow,etc.). Started diving dry and all of a sudden the length of my dive season got a whole lot bigger. Have not dove wet since, not even on vacation dives.

I like the idea of the additional shorty with hood. That would give double thermal help in your core. I wore a separate hood when I did the OW cert dives and cold water entered behind my neck which didn't feel too good. The shorty with a hood should eliminate that issue.

Gary, I think the proper term is Hooded Vest. Here is an example...hope the link works.

Dive - Products - Product Comparison}

I've done 32 degrees in lake Superior (it was slush on the surface . . . about 2 foot rollers, trust me, it was 32, and no better . . .) in a 1/4" full farmer john suit with a cold water hood, and while it was not my idea of fun, it wasn't too bad. My forehead felt like someone was hammering a nail into it, but the rest of me was fine, just so I remembered to avoid any sudden movements . . . .

That was in 1978, and dry suits were in their infancy. Now, I'll definitely do that dry, but it doesn't mean it can't be done, if, as others have mentioned, you can find the right suit.

- Tim

I would suggest saving your money for now. Get some dives in and then make sure you love diving. Then, why wouldn't you get a drysuit? Yes, you can dive in a wetsuit, but a drysuit will increase your enjoyment level 100%. You will be warmer, your sac rate will be better, and you can concentrate on looking for sea life rather than concentrating on staying warm. Since you won't be as cold, you would also be less susceptible to dcs.

I used to do 33-34* F fresh water in a 7mm/ hooded vest, socks, booties, hood, etc. Load up with warm water and a 45-50 min dive was no problem. Second dive would reload and be able to do about 45 min. Depth is one of your enemies as it compresses the neoprene, thus no insulation. Other drawback was standing in the 15-20* breeze changing into dry clothes. I have since moved onto a drysuit and gotta say it's a whole lot nicer in the cold waters!!

same thing here.

50-60 minutes in a 14 mm wetsuit. in 33F water. been there, done that, don't want to do it again, I have a dry suit now.

A lot depends on your body metabolism and how active you are in the water. I have been in cold down to about 47 degrees in 7 mil, and rarely felt very cold.

When I took up underwater photography, I moved a lot less, and got cold much faster. With age, I also became more susceptible. Even long-term diving in warm water had an Impact, making cold harder to tolerate. Now, I stick to warm water. Being cold in the water is no fun.

I know a dive master in Indonesia that wears a 5 mil hooded wetsuit, and the water there is typically about 80 degrees or so. He gets cold sometimes.

You may be fine in 7 mil, but when in doubt, go for the drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom