What's the coldest water temp you will wetsuit in??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

38F with a two piece 7 mm. Neoprene socks really help. If your hood is tucked inside your jacket/hooded vest/core warmer, only water from inside your suit should get into it. Don't leave the hood out hanging...

Until I finally spring for a dry suit I dive a 7mm wetsuit all year round including ice dives. I use the warm water priming technique that AJTOADY talked about. I use three finger gloves, 5/7mm boots, and 7mm hood with 3mm extra hood over it. I also wear polyester thermal long johns under my wetsuit for really cold water. My other cold water wetsuit buddies will add a core warmer with a hood.

Don't get me wrong. If I had a dry suit I would use it, but I love diving the cold water too much to skip diving until then.

With my 7 mil farmer john:

43F and higher is fine and I'll do 2 dives if it's May through Oct. in N.S.
40-42: same but hands get cold (not feet ever, which is odd, because my feet are the only cold things on land)
33-40: one 20 minute dive using 3 fingered mitts

60-65: Only top to the farmer john & reef gloves
66-75 or so: shortie
above 75: body suit for protection from scrapes only.

I feel the cold, a lot. One piece 5mm, 3mm gloves and 5mm boots in the tropics. Two piece farmer john with hood, 5mm gloves and 5mm boots with socks locally, I'm out of the water when it drops below around 60.

Those three finger mitts look odd, no doubt.

Might be worth a try. My hands get cold.

Below 72F, and I dive dry. But at 74F, I'm in a 7mm and hooded vest :wink:

I almost never dive dry, so 32? if its not frozen solid I'll dive it.

Above 28C 3mm plus Hood
23-27C 3mm + Hooded vest
15-23C 6.5mm semi dry + Hooded Vest
14C an below - Dry suit

anything below 78f I'm dry. 5mm on anything above that... so def add me to the big baby group. adding more neoprene is more of a hassle for buoyancy on deeper dives, and I can still wear very little lead when dry w/light thermals.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p3vsj3

It is interesting to read the variations from individual to individual. Body type and metabolism certainly has something to do with that, as does the dive conditions to which a diver is most accustomed. I am comfortable in water down to the low 50's in a 3 mil sleeveless hooded vest (all rubber or latex, not water permeable )under a 5 mil full wetsuit, with 5 mil gloves and boots. I have a dear friend and dive buddy who switches to a dry suit at anything below 75 degrees F, and I am reading here about some hardy divers who dive wet suits down to the low 40's and beyond. For me, head, hands, feet and core are the focus. My wife solves the problem by only diving in water 75 degrees and warmer. She misses out on a lot, but doesn't get cold.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom