What's the coldest water temp you will wetsuit in??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40 yikes... In my book that is definitely dryduit temp. I will dive wet down to low 50's assuming its only one dive or beach dive and then I am getting warm and dry immediately after. if I am planning multiple dives or on a boat all day I will dive dry until the water is above 60. I can dive wet and be less comfortable but why? its all about having fun.

WOW - 33 degrees in a wetsuit!!!

Our OWD checkout dives were done in 34-35F "warm" water, obviously in wetsuits only. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't exactly fun either - after 20 mins, I was pretty much frozen solid. Hands took the most damage, I couldn't feel my fingers any more. Needless to say, selecting the right rental wetsuit as a complete noob isn't something that comes naturally.

I have dived in 46* water with a 7mm Henderson H2 and a henderson 3mm shorty under, 5mm gloves, a 6mm hood and boots and was fine. I did pour a gallon of warm water in my suit before I jumped in. I was good UNTIL I got out!

last fall I dove in my elastek 7mm with 7mm hood, 5mm glvoes, and 6mm boots,on a dive in 50 degree water above the first thermocline, but went down to 113' where the water was 38. I will not do that again unless I lose something really, really, really important. This year I can't wait to use my my (new to me) drysuit:)
The 50 degree water on top wasn't too bad once the neck, and lips went numb, I guess I'd say that's where I would draw the limits for a good day of diving, of course it would have to be above 70, and sunny out of water.

51 at 100' is the coldest I will go with a 7mm

46 is the lowest I have gone with a Farmer John and Top 7MM with Boot's hood and glove. Water Temp is not the issue for me it's keeping warm between dives in the notoriously changeable British weather so its usually Drysuit and 4th Element Xerotherms for me.

If I had my way all the time: 80.

Historically, according to my logbook: 40 in a 7mm, and 58 in a 3mm (brr on both accounts).

The surface temperature and the number of repetitive dives makes a huge difference in how much cold I can endure. Back when I dove wet, the first dive in Maine or the VT quarry was fine, but you had to drag me in kicking and screaming for the second. I wished I had brought my drysuit on a trip to the Bahamas last month where we did 4 dives a day at 72 (with air temps hovering around 65). If it had been 85 and sunny on top, I might have been okay!

I will dive in 38-40 degree (F) water with a 7 mm wetsuit, and a 3 mm vest/hood. I also use 5 mm booties with 3 mm socks for added warmth.

If it's below 76+- I'm diving dry. Below 40, I'm dreaming of warm sunny beaches from a recliner.

I have done a fair number of wet dives down to 40F. All tended to be shorter (30 minutes), shallower and single dives.
50F is my cutoff, below that I now dive dry, just because I can dive cold & wet does not make it fun
50-60ish, it depends on the temp and sunshine topside for the SI and planned depth. The same 55F water can seem toasty warm in the middle of summer with bright sunshine and no wind. In the middle of winter, when its windy, cold and little sun I shiver just thinking about the 3rd dive of the day.

Back
Top Bottom