Whats the main use for a snorkel?

Discussion in 'Snorkeling / Freediving' started by jma1981, Nov 3, 2005.

1. jma1981

jma1981 Garibaldi

Hi, I'm new to this and just wondering whats the main job for the snorkel.

Is it used only for surface swimming?
    I've seen people freedive 100ft down with a mask/snorkel/fins , but they dont even put the mouthpiece of the snorkel in their mouth once their down there, why's that?

2. Groundhog246

Groundhog246 Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    :snorkels: Hmm
    Should I :ignore:
    I really want to :shakehead
    I'm really feel :devil_3:ish and it's tempting to :1poke:

But I'm gonna bite.
    It's primarily used for SNORKELING near the surface. It doesn't deliver much air at depth, so not much point in having it in your mouth. Many of the folks who can reach 100 feet don't even wear a snorkel. :klo:

3. BigWhiteSquare

BigWhiteSquare Barracuda

Yes, it's only used for "surface swimming". You'll find that many divers (the majority I'd say) don't even use a snorkel. I prefer not to use one as well. When faced with a long surface swim, I find it easier to swim on my back than face down with a snorkel.

___

4. Missdirected

Missdirected Guest

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hmmm...now that is food for thought. Hmm...definitely not.

5. String

String Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    My main use for a snorkel? It comes in handy when snorkelling.

I do use it to play octopush from time to time too.

6. Missdirected

Missdirected Guest

What a splendid idea. What to do with things that don't get much use.:D

7. fdog

fdog ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Use a snorkel for anytime you're on the surface, and don't want to waste gas.

I use mine about half the time on long surface swims, whenever my face is in the water, like manuvering around kelp, or, when on the surface at boat dives.

Freediving, hunters use snorkels because it lets them keep their faces in the water watching for targets. Competitive apnea divers don't use them, because of it's drag and interferes with good air movement pre-dive and post-dive.

It's a tool, use it if your dive plan might need it. I'll leave mine behind if shooting photos or overhead-restricted.

All the best, James

8. ProfessorAronnax

ProfessorAronnax Surface Interval Member

Great for reaching your dive area without wasting air. I use it when I'm heading to and from my lobster hunting ground.

9. Chris Sawallich

Chris Sawallich Divemaster

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Its a great tool for holding the lid of my tool box open, or making loud annoying whale type noises and annoying my buddies......other than that it doesnt leave my bag, heck most of the time, it doenst even leave my house....

10. Blox

Blox Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    snorkels are good for poking around in the bottom or holes that you don't want to stick your hand into :)

and ofcourse for snorkelling

11. freediver

freediver Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I use mine early in my breathe-up so that my face-down position can induce the dive reflex. If i am doing a shallow to medium depth dive (30-75 feet), I'll keep it in place. If I am going for more depth (100+) I leave it at the surface.

12. DennisW

DennisW Great White

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Snorkels can make a fairly good impromptu tickle stick for lobsters. I use mine if I have a long surface swim or if I know I will be on the surface waiting for the boat for a while after a float dive.

13. Wayward Son

Wayward Son Kraken

As I haven't been snorkelinh much lately, mostly scuba diving, my snorkel's main use has been to take up room in my gear bag.

14. RonFrank

RonFrank Orca

I don't dive with my snorkel unless the sea's are bad. If the sea is calm, my snorkel can be used for a multitude of things, like pointing at stuff, waving it around and such.

I've been told that it's an ideal instrument for directing Air Guitar players (this generally involves alcohol), but I have not tried this yet. :D

15. cool_hardware52

cool_hardware52 Equipment Manufacturer

Snorkels are a vital piece of equipment, at least at Laguna Beach, they prevent municipal revenue enhancement, i.e. a ticket from the life guard for "scuba without snorkel" violations.

Tobin

16. tstonedvr

tstonedvr Barracuda

Tobin you mean that there's a law in CA that requires you to wear a snorkel.....man talk about a nit-picky way for the Man to get your hard earned geets....the only thing that I can think of that they are good for is making your mask leak...although I do carry one in my OS**t bag on ocean dives...a folded one along with flares,strobe,mirror,knife,emt scissors,and whistle....I don't like being lost at sea....not a good feeling....
    Yarg

17. cool_hardware52

cool_hardware52 Equipment Manufacturer

Not everywhere in CA, just Laguna Beach AFAIK. The Snorkel Police, AKA city lifeguards, write tickets if you don't have one, some even require you have it deployed, but then this a city where about 50% of the parking meters eat quarters routinely without crediting the 15 minutes. I think they like it that way.

Tobin

18. Nikkey

Nikkey Guest

Many freedivers use snorkels when starting out because its a comfort thing but once you get better it more becomes a pain in the *** and "dead air space". Meaning its not prime air, its air that you've already breathed out and if your goal is to flush out Co2 for longer bottom time the dead air does not help.

19. ShakaZulu

ShakaZulu Great White