Whats the main use for a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use mine early in my breathe-up so that my face-down position can induce the dive reflex. If i am doing a shallow to medium depth dive (30-75 feet), I'll keep it in place. If I am going for more depth (100+) I leave it at the surface.

Snorkels can make a fairly good impromptu tickle stick for lobsters. I use mine if I have a long surface swim or if I know I will be on the surface waiting for the boat for a while after a float dive.

As I haven't been snorkelinh much lately, mostly scuba diving, my snorkel's main use has been to take up room in my gear bag.

I don't dive with my snorkel unless the sea's are bad. If the sea is calm, my snorkel can be used for a multitude of things, like pointing at stuff, waving it around and such.

I've been told that it's an ideal instrument for directing Air Guitar players (this generally involves alcohol), but I have not tried this yet. :D

Snorkels are a vital piece of equipment, at least at Laguna Beach, they prevent municipal revenue enhancement, i.e. a ticket from the life guard for "scuba without snorkel" violations.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Snorkels are a vital piece of equipment, at least at Laguna Beach, they prevent municipal revenue enhancement, i.e. a ticket from the life guard for "scuba without snorkel" violations.

Tobin
Tobin you mean that there's a law in CA that requires you to wear a snorkel.....man talk about a nit-picky way for the Man to get your hard earned geets....the only thing that I can think of that they are good for is making your mask leak...although I do carry one in my OS**t bag on ocean dives...a folded one along with flares,strobe,mirror,knife,emt scissors,and whistle....I don't like being lost at sea....not a good feeling....
Yarg

tstonedvr:
Tobin you mean that there's a law in CA that requires you to wear a snorkel

Not everywhere in CA, just Laguna Beach AFAIK. The Snorkel Police, AKA city lifeguards, write tickets if you don't have one, some even require you have it deployed, but then this a city where about 50% of the parking meters eat quarters routinely without crediting the 15 minutes. I think they like it that way.

Tobin

Many freedivers use snorkels when starting out because its a comfort thing but once you get better it more becomes a pain in the *** and "dead air space". Meaning its not prime air, its air that you've already breathed out and if your goal is to flush out Co2 for longer bottom time the dead air does not help.

Back
Top Bottom