Where to buy unscented Talcum / Talc powder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that I did when I got my talc was to put a bunch of it in an old sock and tie the end of the sock. You can then use that as a brush on your seals, etc. I keep the sock in a plastic bag in my dive box.

I don't like it....the cone keeps getting stuck in the sleeve.:bonk:

Corn starch will work just as well as talc on Latex.

I'm sure I read somewhere that when using talc powder for dry suit seals it should be unperfumed is this correct, if so why?
Thanks

Talc with additives (perfume, etc.) may have chemicals that will attack the latex much like ozone which weakens and eventually shortens the life of the seal.

Natural (unscented) talc can be found at billiard stores and at major drug stores. Talc has an advantage over KY jelly and other water soluable lubricants in that if a repair has to be made talc is easly removed with water. Lubricants, especially silicone based are almost impossible to remove (especially on a dive boat) and repair with a patch or duct tape.

In the UK, the only easy to find unperfumed talc is Simple.

Most supermarkets cary it as do Boots and Superdrug. Usual price is about £2.50 for about 3 times as much as you get in one of those little Typhoon shakers,

HTH

Dom B)

Thanks Bill and Dom , I tried Superdrug which didn't appear to have any will have to try Boots! :)

Most supermarkets "own brand" talc is unperfumed and ive used it without problems.

Both Morrisons and Tesco here stock their own brands.

I got mine from an online fetish company that specialized in latex and rubber goods!!

It was really cheap....

You should have seen the look on my staff's faces when that package came into my office!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom