Where to dive in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNawman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys, I live in New Mexico and am planning a two month trip to Fla to dive some different cave systems. Does anyone know of a guide book that describes several springs, gives locations and info regarding fees, airfill locations, rules and regs, campgrounds etc? I dove most of the springs in the Luraville area, and would like to try Tampa, Gainsville, and the panhandle. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

no diveable caves in tampa pasco their is a couple if you are cert to dive then nss members Manatee Springs - Levy County (OW, cavern, cave, map)can dive Eagle's Nest (Lost Sink) - Hernando County (cave, map) Nexxus - Hudson (cave)
Wayne's World - Hudson (cave, map) or you can go on to florida cave,cavern.com:)

Try Deloach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida.

With Gainesville, you'll be looking at the popular sites in High Springs. I'm not sure which sites would be suitable for cavern dives outside of that area. Jackson Blue, in the panhandle, has a beautiful cavern and after May 22 should be accessible to cavern divers. Not too far from there is Morrison and Vortex.

Thanks to those that replied to my thread with some good info. I thought there would be more suggestions until I realized that I had not updated my profile and everybody probable thought that I was only cavern certified. I completed Full cave with Michael O'Leary in April, as well as TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Proc. I have since updated my profile and plan to get the diving guide to underwater Fla. Thanks again for all the info.

It doesn't have fill locations, etc. But if you let us know which ones you're interested in visiting, we could probably direct you to the closest places.

Florida Cave & Cavern Systems

Also, if you let us know when you'll be there, we could probably even join you on a few of the dives.

Thanks for the invite Dive-aholic, I will certainly keep you in mind when I go to Fla. I take it your still in AZ? Any good diving there? I dont have any dates set up yet, but it will probably be in the Fall. I am thinking about spending a week or two camping at Ginnie, then try some other sites. I am also planning to take the RV down to the Yucatan and spend a couple months down there checking out the caves.

If you get stuck for a buddy , give me a shout (PM etc ... )
I am full cave and live in Fort White , about 15 minutes from Ginnie...
I usually do the general caves around here...
Ginnie , Little River , Madison , Peacock and Manatee too.

Jean
Fort White , Florida

P.S. Mike O'Leary eh? I tank-monkey at Dive Outpost so you probably have seen me from time to time... :D
Bet I know where you did your last drill in Full Cave ... :D

MNawman:
Thanks for the invite Dive-aholic, I will certainly keep you in mind when I go to Fla. I take it your still in AZ? Any good diving there? I dont have any dates set up yet, but it will probably be in the Fall. I am thinking about spending a week or two camping at Ginnie, then try some other sites. I am also planning to take the RV down to the Yucatan and spend a couple months down there checking out the caves.

We're in AZ, but travel to N. Florida every 3 months. We also have a house there. We're planning on moving soon, possibly the end of this summer. As for the diving in AZ - not so good. We have a couple of lakes that give us okay visibility, but not much to see. We can drive down to San Carlos, Mexico in about 6 hours, though, and have some great diving. But it's nothing like the caves.

Thanks Jean. How are Madison and Manatee? I may have seen you at the DO, there was a lot of traffic when I was there. We did our last drill, (OOA diver w/ no lights) in Peacock 3. I don't think Mike likes all that light inside the caves. Mike is a great instructor, I learned alot and how to do it right. Dive safe, I'll get in touch when I set up a trip. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom