Where to dive the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A week long dive trip in the Great Lakes is also on my list of trips to do.

The Straits of Mackinaw and Thunder Bay (Alpena) are about 2 hours driving distance from each other. Both places each have more than enough wrecks to dive in a week. My vote would be combine both places and discuss recommended dives with the dive charter operator.

Links that may help.

Scuba North: Dive Shop in Traverse City, Michigan
Local Diving - Scuba North
Northern Michigan Dive Center | iDiveMI.com
Welcome To Great Lakes Divers
Thunder Bay Scuba

Also, the GL Wrecking Crew part of the forum may be helpful

upload_2016-8-17_16-18-13.png

Don't forget your drysuit

I just went and checked out @Stoo 's pics on his website. Its pics like those that make me want to dive the great lakes.

Well thanks!

The Great Lakes cover a REALLY big area and a LOT of great wrecks rest on the bottom of them. Tobermory is home base for me and I suppose traditionally it is known as the "Shipwreck Capital of Canada". I think that is because the water here has always been cold and clear. In more recent years, "thanks" to the zebra mussels, super dry weather and less agricultural fertilizers, water clarity has improved all over the lakes. Kingston, Rockport/Brockville, Long Point in Lake Erie, Picton area are all great areas on the Canadian side. In US waters, add Alpena, Whitefish Bay, Mackinaw... really, dang near everywhere.

Some areas are better serviced than others, with charters and fills readily available, others less so.

I've spent 40 years diving these lakes and feel like I've only scratched the surface. I lot depends on your experience level. Whitefish Bay for example, has some amazing wrecks, but they're deep, pushing 200'. Tobermory and Kingston on the other hand, have great stuff in the 100' - 150' range and less.

image.jpeg
Did 36 years of Great Lakes wreck diving before I got smart and moved to Florida. But, I liked early October the best. All the students and tech wanna be's were long gone. The weather topside can be chilly but we put our dry suits on dockside before we departed. My two favorites are Port Sanilac and the Straites diving off The Wreck Diver

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 28
Yup, best time of the year coming up. The shallows are too warm right now... fogs my dome up and I melt topside.

September to early October; Lake Huron - Tobermory, ON or Thunder Bay / Port Sanilac, MI.
Drysuit is a must.

Just sayin'

Drysuit is a must.

All year really if you plan on venturing below about 60'. The water is at it's max warmth now. In Tobermory, surface temps are around 70° F... I have been swimming... a lot.

Usually towards the end of September or early October the nights start to get chilly. Then a big storm will blow through later in the month and the water mixes and it goes back to good and brisk.

I think that the fall is the best time to dive up here, but wind can become an issue too... It's big water.

Could hit Alexandria Bay NY on the way. We just got back from some fun dives in the St Lawrence Waterway. Temp was 72-75 F a couple weeks ago.

+1 on abay. I work a family owned dive shop there and the best time of the year for diving is coming up..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom