Where to get a Nikonos V serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the Nikonos 3,4,5 were so great in focusing why did Nikon come out with the Nikonos RS SLR camera?

Maybe because (also answers Roundrock’s post) to get that “acceptable” not “exact” focusing the depth of field has to be maxed out, to get this maxed out condition requires small apertures like F22.

To properly expose this almost pinhole aperture opening the strobe have to be at full blast plus the help of the local power plant!

And the background…well you can forget about it! Most of you pictures will look like they were shot at midnight!

Note: the Nikonos 3 does not have TTL.

I'm not going to blindly endorse my Nikonos V setup, as I think digital has come a long way and I'll likely go to it very soon. However, I would like to point out that the above criticisms are inaccurate.

A well-estimated shot with the Nik and a WA lens is as "in focus" as that of a lag-prone focus locked or worse, any focus-hunting digital camera, especially when the subject is moving. A 15mm shot is as crisp as they get even using estimated distance (never confuse precision with accuracy).

Are all backgrounds like "night" on TTL because have to shoot f22 to get sharp photos? Somebody needs to do some homework. Fill flash is super easy to do on the Nik TTL systems. Just adjust the f-stop to get the background to match the shutter sync or set it one stop down. Then, look at your depth of field. It will still be greater than most anyone's estimation "error bar".

Duh. The only "night shots" are with extension tubes and closeo-up kits, where the advantage of SLR focus allows for a more open aperture (and very tight depth of field, making it hard to get sharp shot on moving subjects. With the Nik, you do have to stop it down all the way because the depth of field is so narrow it's not possible to keep a subject in range and in position on most shots. Hence, the old time preference for SLR's to do macro.)

I think digital is constantly improving, but I see no reason to abandon a perfectly good system if you enjoy working with it.

Rockhound has it right. The 15mm has tremendous depth of field, so you can really shoot from the hip. It doesn't get faster than that, unless you're shooting something like a shark feed. That exception would involve several exposures per second. I sold my 15 on eBay last year. While I miss it, I'm having even more fun with a digital system.

Fill flash is easy to do without TTL. All you need to do is expose for ambient light and add a little strobe power.

Rockhound has it right. The 15mm has tremendous depth of field, so you can really shoot from the hip. It doesn't get faster than that, unless you're shooting something like a shark feed. That exception would involve several exposures per second. I sold my 15 on eBay last year. While I miss it, I'm having even more fun with a digital system.

Fill flash is easy to do without TTL. All you need to do is expose for ambient light and add a little strobe power.

Not a problem guys, is this shooting from the hip?:

"I would meet you half away on this and say that the Nikonos could be very useful for wide-angle seascapes use only, like when paired with the Nikonos 15mm wide angle lens, the best optics still to this day."

"The setup of choice for the pro U/W photographers in the past, is a SLR for precision focusing in macro and the Nikonos 15mm for wide-angles."

Please read my post on page 2...

I know all about the Nikonos 15mm the Sea n Sea 13mm (add-on), Howard Hall (top in this field) coining "close focus wide-angle" CFWA, I have used the 15mm, I have no problems with it.

Care to apply this to the 35 or 28mm lenses with framer and ext. tubes in macro?

I know all about the Nikonos 15mm the Sea n Sea 13mm (add-on), Howard Hall (top in this field) coining "close focus wide-angle" CFWA, I have used the 15mm, I have no problems with it.

Care to apply this to the 35 or 28mm lenses with framer and ext. tubes in macro?

For one, I don't use framer and extension tubes. I prefer the close up kit for what little I am doing. Otherwise, I am using a WA lens for my underwater work.

But, even with the 28mm or the 35mm, there are those of us who find the Nik V still just as good or better then digital. As a matter of fact, I tried a digital setup once. I was NOT pleased with the results.

Why the Nikonos RS? Why any SLR vs any rangefinder? I have used both above water as well as below. The advantage to any SLR is to see what you are getting thru the lens and frame in the camera. Digital does this as well, but it has some other draw backs. Why don't I have a Nikonos RS? Can you say $$$$

...for close-ups and macro, the framers are a pain, especially for skittish subjects, but with laser guides and cut down framers, I can still shoot in focus ...

I've tried the framed close-up and macro setups for the NikV w/o much joy (there's always something in the way!), and have thought optical triangulation would be better. I found a SpotShot finally but still need to find laser lights that are easy to trigger UW. What are the laser guides you mention? That sounds intriguing.

I'm glad to see the Nik V users stand up and be counted! I have been very successful with my Nik V and 15mm.....actually getting in a calendar and a magazine cover. I agree, if you can't get WOW shots from a NikV, you have no clue what you are doing and need to go back to the drawing board. Too many digital users today lack the working skill of composition and functionality of shooting film and rely too heavily on letting the software or the camera do the work. The best camera out there is the one you use with the automatic feature BETWEEN YOUR EARS.

I never had the $$ to get the 15mm, but the 20mm lives on my Nikes.

I use a Nike III with the 20 for deep dives >150 as the Nike V does not like to go deeper as the back will pinch the film. The V is just about the best camera for Wide angle wrecks, but I have to agree that the framers with the 35mm are a bit of a hassel.

I finaly got a Cannon A620 and a Ike housing and have been trying it out in the mid-range depths of 100-175. So far not much to tell as my diving time this summer was cut into hard by work and medical issues. I did do some avalible light work on some wrecks off of Cape Cod that I was not too thrilled with. But I am still getting used to the camera. But with a new digital strobe with the next tax return, I'll let you know the results.

Finaly, one of the best things about a film camera is that when people asked me how long were my dives up in Maine in February, I just told them - 36 frames.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom